cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

New router

I have Optus nbn fttp and use for home office in 2 storey house. Connection so slow, had boost but cancelled as not receiving any faster. Max download speed 30’s once or twice, more around 5 or 6 mps and regularly 0.22, 0.16 mps which is unacceptable. Multiple complaints and finally technician came and said modem not good enough. Just bought tp-link ac 23900 wireless MU-MIMO gigabite router. Can I connect directly to Optus modem to keep landline or is this messy installation. I don’t want any setup problems and if simpler to just to plug into nbn box and replace Optus modem I am prepared to flick landline. Thank you

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: New router

I don't know why you got a router if the Arris modem is not good enough.  But you're asking a super technical question.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Don’t have an Arris modem but Sagemcom. It is not internet connection but wifi which is bad.  All devices connected by wifi as nbn box not in any office.  When laptop connected directly to nbn box speeds in vicinity 90 mps but when plugged into sagemcom max 16 mps. Pretty sure Optus tech said to plug new router into sagemcom via Ethernet cable and leave sagemcom plugged into nbn box, but sales person said to disconnect sagemcom and plug TP-Link directly into nbn box. I’m confused.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I cant find any info on the new modem you mentioned, but if it's on the approved hardware list for nbn, it might work. If you cascade it into the old one, to keep your landline, make sure it has a different ip address, or there will be conflict.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

you have fibre to the premise connection and the optus supplied modem can't give you the full speed? How is that possible? Is there a issue with the fibre connection itself? because, isn't fibre to the premise one of the best connection  you can get? So if the fibre is working, then the supplied modem should give you the full speeed. Unless you have a faulty modem, then a few reset or a replacement should fix that. 

Are you connecting all your devices via Wifi only? If so, maybe test your internet with a wire connection and see if you can get the full speed. If you can then it is a wifi problem, if you can't then contact technical support to check the fibre and the last leg of the coneection to your modem. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you but I bit the bullet and installed The TP-Link router with no home phone.

Speed instantly increased from 1.23 to 94.73.

third modem from Optus so surely all can’t be faulty.,

previously 2 separate Optus techs told me it was the modem, can’t cope with nbn speed.

had already connected a laptop to modem and then directly to nbn and speed variation was just on 16 from modem and 96 from nbn connection, so Sagemcom modems obviously are useless. In the end I guess you only get what you pay for. TP-Link simple set up from tether app and all devices up and running within 15 minutes. Before I started phoned Optus to check on connection application and told to phone TP-Link as they had no idea. After 25 years considered seriously change of telco but all probably as bad as one another.

anyway thank all for trying to assist.

0 Kudos