cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Sue_H
Occasional Contributor

New Chermside store - don't go there if you want actual customer service!

2 weeks ago I rang the call centre and arranged for installation of the NBN at our address after receiving notification it was now available and could be installed. At the end of the phone call, which lasted 40 minutes, no order number was supplied to me. A few days later I realised the arranged date was not suitable, so I rang the 1300 number to change the date, only to be unable to speak to a human at all and to be asked over and over for an order number - which I didn't have. so, no problem, I jump online! Got through on the online chat to a lovely Optus person who arranged to change the date. Again, no order number given.

Yesterday I received a text message reminding me of the upcoming install date, however this was the original and wrong date!

So, to save myself some time and make sure it gets sorted face-to-face I thought easy - there's a fancy new Optus store in the renovated Westfield across the road from my work, I'll drop in there at lunchtime and sort it out! I've walked past this store on many occasions - it's absolutely huge!!! about 4 times the size of the old storefront they had there in Westfield before the renovations to the centre - and I rarely see more than 2 customers in there during the week at any given time!

So - I walk into the store and immediately I realise - this isn't going to be easy and isn't going to be the solution I was after. The staff in this store couldn't be MORE UNHELPFUL if they tried. In fact, I think they may actually have had training in how to be as unhelpful as possible and provide ZERO customer service to your existing and loyal customers.

I've been an Optus customer for the past 9 years with home phone, internet, Fetch TV and mobiles of both myself and my husband with Optus for that time. You'd have to forgive me for thinking that this loyalty perhaps affords me some level of service from your Optus staff, whether it be online, on the phone or in a store. However, apparently this is not the case.

Without listening to my entire issue/story, the staff member I saw immediately said I'd have to phone the call centre. I said no, I don't want to do that because it takes too long on hold and i don't have the time. She looked at me blankly - and I'm pretty sure she was thinking 'just go away'... So I prompted - isn't there anything you can do here? Answer - no, sorry. I went to ask again and she then stated that all she could do was phone the call centre from there and put me on the phone to sort it out.

Geez - what fabulous customer service!!! Thanks Optus!!! ps - note the sarcasm...Smiley Frustrated

I then stated that I also had a question about whether I can put my mobile on the same package as the home phone, Internet and TV and she advised that she could help me with that after the phone call - great! finally some service!!!

So I then sit on hold to the 'priority' call centre line for 8 minutes before actually speaking to someone and eventually sorting out the date issue. Great - one thing sorted.

I go back to the staff member and thank her and then say ok, so now about my mobile issue? She looked at me blankly and said, oh you'll have to phone the call centre.. What the?? I said you just told me you could help me with that? So she then walks over to her supervisor (Ellie) who is chatting to another staff member and as I'm standing right there with them she starts to ask Ellie my question and Ellie doesn't even look up but holds her finger up and says 'just wait' and continues her chat with the other staff member.

Now I'm no customer service Einstein, but I'm pretty sure the basic philosophy of providing good customer service is that the priority is always dealing with a customer. If you're chatting to staff and a customer needs your assistance, then you stop everything and sort that out - not make the customer wait while you finish your staff chat. But at Optus - apparently not!!

so I explain what I need from Ellie and she immediately says that I have to phone the call centre to ask that question, they have no idea. My thought - yes, Ellie, you do have no idea!!

Next I ask ok - can you tell me why the new plan is so different to the plan I'm already on. Ellie then explains that it's because they wanted to simplify the plans, there are now only 2 plans across all products, and the $80 is cheaper for me. I kindly explain to Ellie that no, this plan is NOT cheaper for me. Ellie looks at me blankly and says yes it is - and I explain that my current plan is $95 for home phone with unlimited national calls, Internet with unlimited data and fetch TV with ALL channels included bar Optus sport and about half a dozen premium channels. Ellie looks at me blankly so I explain that the new plan is $80, but that does not include unlimited national calls or all the Fetch TV channels - to add these in would be another $24 on top - so in fact the new plans would be $104 - $9 per month dearer for me. Ellie states 'well, it's cheaper for some people.' thanks for clearing that up Ellie!! Again note the sarcasm.Smiley Frustrated

So then I ask who should I phone about the issue with my mobile and Ellie says the call centre - and I then ask, and what would that number be? Ellie's answer to my questions was to shove a brochure across the counter to me and point to a number on the back.

Honestly Optus - is this really the level of Customer Service you are training your storefront staff to provide? There were 2-3 customers in this massive store the whole time I was there. There were staff filling up the water bottle fridge, standing around chatting - so it's not like it was a busy time!

My take on the Chermside Optus storefront (other than it seems they like to think they are the new Apple store - and believe me Optus, your storefront staff have a LONG way to go before they get even in the vicinity of the same excellent service a customer receives at the Chermside Apple store) is that unless you're there to actually buy one of the overpriced items or products they are selling (mobile phone, tablet, watch, headphones, cases etc) then they simply do not want to know you - so don't bother!

So what am I doing tomorrow? I'm heading to the Telstra storefront at Chermside and looking at signing up everything we own with them. The experience I had today is not acceptable and the only way companies like yours actually listen is by customers using their feet and walking away.

Nice job Optus Smiley Mad

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: New Chermside store - don't go there if you want actual customer service!

Optus is a sales organisation and have no interest in servicing customers.

Optus shops are generally franchises tasked with selling Optus products and have no interest in servicing customers.

Optus call centre staff are script reading robots that just lie to get your off the phone and have no interest in servicing customers.

Optus chat, as above, have no interest in servicing customers.

The correct thing for any Optus customer to do is find another, any other provider and run to them really fast.

RetiredModerator Mike-N
RetiredModerator

Hello Sue_H, 

I'm extremely sorry to hear of the service you received in the Chermside store. I've sent this through so the management at the store can speak with those involved to provide training around how to handle situations such as yours. It's not acceptable that you were treated that way and even if they needed to get you through to Customer Service, they should have assisted you with this. I'm not sure of the status of your phone issue now but if you do need any further help, please send us a private message confirming your phone number, full name and date of birth. We'll happily look into this for you. Thank you and sorry again. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

So I Pm’d Good old Mike, as requested and unsurprisingly, days later still no response to my PM. 

Does ANYONE inOptus want to contact me because I’m only getting closer to emailing the Telcommunications Ombudsman as I type. 

I sat at homefor4 hours yesterday, having cancelled meetings, to be there for my booked I stall date and time. Only for not one si hole person to turn up or call to say they wouldn’t be turning up. 

Interesting customer service. I say. 

So I phoned the call Centre today and asked for a supervisor to call me and unsurprisingly, hours later, no phone call. 

HELLO??? OPTUS???

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

My apologies for the wait Sue, I have since replied to your PMs. My team can make sure your complaints are handled accordingly, but as there is often a wait between social media responses, we'd advise to use Live Chat for immediate assistance if required.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Toomey. I’ve got a manager from the Adelaide sales Centre dealing with my issues and a complaint lodged. 

0 Kudos