Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Occasional Contributor nambucca
Occasional Contributor

NO reception Macksville, Bowraville

I switched to Optus from Telstra last October.  For the first month or so, I was getting better coverage at home than Telstra and was considering switching the other mobile service.

Just as well I didn't!

I have NO reception at home.  NO reception at Bowraville 2449 and NO reception at Macksville 2447.  I do have reception at Nambucca Heads 2448, Bellingen and Coffs Harbour.

I have spend about four hours on customer service chat (cannot call as I have NO reception) and have been contacted ONCE on the other service as requested (the Telstra service with some semblance of reception) and about three times on the service that has NO reception.  At all times I have replied to the SMS for HELP.  

Why is there no reception to the area even though your coverage map indicates that there is?  There was so I am not imagining things yet reception failed sometime in early November.  Why is this a difficult question for customer service people to answer?

So far my experience with Optus has been horrendous.  Can someone resolve this issue please?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: NO reception Macksville, Bowraville

I can't comment on early November but both those locations have been flagged as possibly fire affected areas. When you are in area that has coverage it might pay to ring the hotline on 1300 301 671 and see what areas are affected by the fires. Alternatively you can send a complaint via the online form if you cant get a straight answer from anyone.

https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/support/feedback-and-complaints/lodge-a-complaint 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

So you've had no mobile reception in Bowraville for two months now? Have you found anyone else with the same issue? Seems surprising that there hasn't been more people on the phone to Optus.

Have you tried switching the SIMs between each of your phones? It could be your device that is faulty. I would also suggest going to an Optus store and they can swap your SIM over for free in case it is faulty.

You can lodge a reception issue on the Optus outages webpage (Report a Fault) but not sure where that goes. At this stage all I can suggest is do the above and keep mentioning it to Optus.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

What phone are you using?

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I did not have reception prior to 8 November when the main fires tore through the hills. Irrespective, the customer service people should be able to tell me if they have towers down. I am allegedly getting my signal from Nambucca Heads tower which was not affected by the fires.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

If my device was faulty then I would not be able to get full reception at Nambucca, Bellingen and Coffs Harbour. I don't think my phone has selective operational usage capability. If I had no reception from the beginning then this would not be an issue but given that something has happened to the tower signal then I would expect to have been advised. Or at the very least I would expect after four hours and three customer service reps that someone could actually find out what was happening.

The nearest Optus store is over an hour away in Coffs Harbour and I do not have a need to go there at the moment. There was a local store that opened in the Plaza but that disappeared around about the time my reception disappeared. Coincidence?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

It's an old Nokia 520 but as it still works, it will not get replaced. People in the country have different priorities. 🙂

I'll throw kudos and blow kisses if someone can tell me what is happening with the tower signal strength. If the coverage map indicates that I get outside coverage, then that is what I expect.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Nokia 520 is a 3g phone, all depends on the mode but as you were with Telstra its most likely this model:

HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 - RM-915

This would mean it would work well on Telstra 3g as they currently only use the 850 frequency.

Would not work too well on Optus as it does no support the 900 band just the way higher 2100 band (which does not travel too far).

Unfortunately your device is the limiting issue in your area.
Not sure how far 2100 3g reaches into your area but you will most likely have issues due to the distance and terrain from the tower.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Riddle me this. Why did I have better reception at home back in October than I did with Telstra? Do Optus keep doing something to their towers? And if they do, why am I not contacted and why was I sold the service in the first place? I get plenty of spam SMS advertising from them. The rep said that I should get good reception according to his coverage map.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

3g mobile networks expand and contract depending on how many users in the area, causing the coverage to people who had good coverage before to reduce - so perhaps that.

When you signed up did you provide details of the phone you used and its IMEI to the sales person?
The IMEI is like a serial number that can be looked up to see exactly what model device it is.

The same model you have has multiple variants, each with different bands, so by having the exact model from the IMEI a better coverage check could be done.

Top Contributors