cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor max_smart
Occasional Contributor

Modem Reset

To get to the internet I have to turn my modem off and pc. If I don't do this I get the following options:

Cant find this page

Waiting for response

Search or enter web address

I believe this to be a modem problem as when I turn it back on I get instant access to my home page.

Help anyone ???

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Modem Reset

Hi - Does the problem exist only when you use the PC to browse the Internet or occurs on all devices? You could try using another browser to see if the same result happens or not. Clearing out you main browser's Data Cache and History may also assist. The modem usually uses Optus DNS Servers to connect you to web pages - check the Ethernet or Wi-Fi Adapter Settings to see if your PC is using the Optus Gateway (Modem) DNS Servers.

If no change, suggest a Factory Reset of the modem - hold a paper clip into the Reset hole for 5 seconds whilst modem is powered on. That may clear out any confusions in the modem software.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

The reset worked thank you. I get the home page straight away. Seems the ipconfig statements do nothing to fix my problem.
On the 3864V3 hp modem would like to know what the WIFI button on the back does is used for, as I don't have wifi anywhere on my networking options but my smart tv does work on You Tube.
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

The WiFi button on the back of the modem is the WiFi on/off switch.

There's also the WPA button (WiFi protection setup). It's just a secure way to connect your wireless devices to your WiFi network without the need to enter your password.

The password must be encrypted with a security protocol (WPA Personal or WP2A). 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

The problem still exists as I do have to turn off my nbn and modem boxes if the reset to the modem doesn't work.
I noticed my network is unknown ?? I have cleared out all possible network connections etc but problem is it doesn't connect. How do I get the optus network to register instead of unknown.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

If your NBN Modem is Black Arris model (HFC coax) connected to NBN, all 4 LEDs should be green for operation. If your NBN Modem is White Netcomm (FTTC) telephone line connected to NBN, all LEDs should be blue for operation.

The Reset suggestion I previously outlined may have been incorrectly referred to as a Factory Reset. My apology if so , it may be a Modem Reset which could keep all your previous settings but clears out the system memory which may have become confused.

To do a Factory Restore Default, suggest connect a LAN cable from your PC to the F@ST3864V3AC, select your Browser, if the Optus Welcome screen does not show up on your Browser, type 192.168.0.1 into the browser entry field at top of screen. When you select Advanced Settings, you will be challenged for an ID = optus and a password which will either be the default Optus Wi-Fi password printed on the label or one that you may have changed. Once you are in, select Management/ Settings/Restore Default - the modem should turn OFF and ON by itself and your default Optus  Wi-Fi Network on the label should be visible. This process may be the same outcome as putting a paperclip into the Reset hole - I am not sure, but it should default a fresh to factory settings. 

Can you connect to the Internet with a LAN cable from your PC to the modem? Is the 'unkown network error' coming from your Windows Network and Internet Settings screens or Mac or your Browser screen?

0 Kudos