cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor Swpjam08
New Contributor

Mobile signal in Byron and surrounds

I live in Mullumbimby 2482. I’m out of town although high up on ridge. Until the commencement of the 2 week Christmas holiday the best achievable mobile signal was 2 bars 4g. However for a lot of the time it ranged from 1 bar 3G to 1 bar 4g.

i was away in Sydney for Xmas and returned 2nd January. All of a sudden 4 bars 4g occasionally dropping to 3 bars 4g! The Christmas mobile fairies had arrived whilst I was away. That same evening I notice the bright lights coming from the Falls festival at north Byron. Of course the Byron area is full of holiday makers at Xmas. Has the signal been ‘boosted’ for the visitors? I’m hoping not and that this marked improvement in the mobile signal is here to stay. This morning was the return to work day for many people. The Falls festival is finished and packed down. I wake up to a 3G signal and it is presently 1bar 4g. Coincidence or have Optus turned the dial?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Mobile signal in Byron and surrounds

Most likely the festival organisers arranged with Optus, Telstra and/or Vodafone to setup "COWs" These are small towers that are transportable, used for events where there will be greater then normal numbers of people e.g. new years eve, huge festivals etc. Once the festival was over it was shipped to its next destination e.g. bushfire prone areas etc.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
New Contributor Swpjam08
New Contributor

Re: Mobile signal in Byron and surrounds

Thank you for your response. I have a friend who was providing technical support on site and I’ll get him to confirm regarding the COW. It’s almost certain that you are correct given the size of the event and extra infrastructure that would be needed.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors