Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Mobile repeater/ mobile signal boosters Australia

Depending on your data needs I would suggest getting a prepaid Boost plan.

$300 a year gets 340Gb and access to the ENTIRE Telstra network (other resellers have a cut down version). That works out to 30Gb a month for $25 on average.

If you need less data then there are similar 12 month plans that average $16 a month. You can transfer your number across if you want and yes, Boost does wifi calling. They also do a nifty thing where you can make phone calls direct too and from using the little Google Nests etc.

https://store.google.com/au/category/connected_home?
0 Kudos
Ctails0
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So pretty much you are suggesting that I leave Optus and go to a Telstra affiliate. Not sure Optus would be happy with that suggestion 🤣🤣. Thanks for the advice I appreciate your time. I will continue to do my research and see where we end up.
Cheers Carl
0 Kudos
Ctails0
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I should add that as I live in Tasmania 7212 my options for carriers are limited but we can only try
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

If there was a good Optus option I'd mention it but you can't get around a poor signal to begin with. In Tassie you should have FTTP NBN? So that's a huge plus.

FWIW Optus have been pretty slow in improving their business model in the face of competition. The NBN blew away their HFC cable duopoly and the mobile industry is mature and lots of options. Having raised prices comparably to Telstra they no longer have their price advantage in many cases. In a nut shell customers now hove a lot of choice and increasing freedom to demand a good service. All they need to do is exercise it.

Good Luck on finding a solution (you might find whirlpool a good spot for wider advice than mine)
Ctails0
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter Tassie was supposed to be the shining light in NBN but that got stuffed up royally and now it’s a mishmash of FTTP, Fixed wireless and like me I have the FTTN so it is a bit of a disaster really. But I will look to the other options you have mentioned. Thanks again.
0 Kudos
Ctails0
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

To everyone coming to this thread in future can I suggest you do your research thoroughly. Whirlpool forums have a whole page dedicated to “Signal Booster Australia” and other web sites such as this one. It makes for an informative read. Long story short. Yes it is illegal to have and use a repeater unless it is the “cel-fi” one and you get it through your telco. Great news if you have shares in the company that makes them. All the cheaper ones mess up the signal at the base station and are easy to trace by your telco. You might not get fined but you will get a nasty letter containing lots of threats of legal action if you don’t cease and desist. As you will discover your telco will be pretty vague about it so it is buyer beware. Using wifi is looking like the best option. Good luck
0 Kudos