Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Ctails0
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Mobile repeater/ mobile signal boosters Australia

Hi I know this question comes up a lot but I haven’t found a definite answer to this particular thought. I need a boost to my Optus signal for inside my home.  I am not prepared to pay the $1400 for a Cel-fi one.  I think Optus should be making an effort to subsidise these if this is the only one they will recommend. I have been in communication with “Mobile Signal Boosters Australia” who assure me that even though the product they recommend is called a “booster” and therefore should be illegal, they are allowed to sell them and they are a repeater so legal.  Does anyone have experience with this company and does Optus accept the one they have listed as Optus ready.  
https://www.signalboostersaustralia.com/product/signal-booster-voice-3g-300-sqm-power-line/

thanks for your help regards Carl 

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Nard_YC

Re: Mobile repeater/ mobile signal boosters Australia

Hi there, @Ctails0

The only Mobile Signal Booster/Repeater that we support is the Cel-Fi Pro as it has been tested, authorised and approved by Optus to use on the Optus Mobile Network. 

Unfortunately, I'm unable to comment on "Mobile Signal Boosters Australia" as I'm not familiar with them. Someone else who has had experience with them may be able to weigh in and share their experience hopefully.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Ctails0
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the answer I appreciate your response. Can you provide any information on the voucher that is offered on the page you directed me to. The cel-fi pro is one of the more expensive products and as they are the only company allowed to sell this product to solve coverage issues you can be sure they are making a pretty profit from their monopoly. Is the voucher offered as a way to offset this cost or just the letter required by the acma to own and use the repeater.  Thanks

0 Kudos
Nard_YC

The voucher code is provided if ordered through our My Business Portal which you then use to redeem the Cel-Fi Pro on Powertec's Optus Page

I appreciate your feedback around this product and solution, I've marked this as feedback to be reviewed by relevant teams to review for future consideration and improvements to our offerings.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

" I need a boost to my Optus signal for inside my home. "

There are generally many other options available before getting a super expensive business grade repeater designed mainly for many users inside a steel factory box.

You could have 100% reception throughout the house for well under $500. Do you have the NBN installed? Wifi?
0 Kudos
Ctails0
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter yes I do have nbn wifi. Once upon a time Optus had an app that used wifi to boost phone it was pretty crap but better than no service or regular drop out service. Interested in you suggestion. Can you offer some more info. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Ctails0
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have been thinking. If “Mobile Signal Booster Australia” are selling signal repeaters openly on the internet using the Optus logo surely Optus and the ACMA are aware of this and would do something to stop them if it was illegal. So can I assume it is not illegal to sell the repeater only illegal to own and use it. In which case who is guilty of the false advertising and duping of the Australian consumer. When you read the reviews on their website they have sold hundreds of these products. Not sure I can understand why the telcos and the ACMA would allow this to continue.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated thanks. Carl.
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"Any thoughts on this would be appreciated thanks. Carl"

The Telco industry is very (very) slow to change. Optus participated in a scam for decades charging Premium SMS to unwitting customers. No option to not get stung was ever provided. (After 2 decades ACCC finally fined them $20 million in court).

Identity theft was a huge issue but the industry sat back and let anyone who knows your DOB port out your number and steal account details. Some of this has just recently been improved after decades.

There are plenty of other examples. ITs illegal to sell or own or use a mobile 'booster' in Oz. Its not illegal to sell a 'repeater' but it is illegal to use it without permission from a carrier. There is one model Optus are willing to sell and authorise as mentioned above.
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"Can you offer some more info. Thanks"

When you say NBN WiFi what NBN technology do you have? FTTN? HFC? Wireless?)

What postcode are you in.

So the question is are we dealing with black spots around your home or just bad 3G/4G reception from Optus?

I would be looking at installing a Mesh WIFI System around your home (simple and cheaper) and improves wifi everywhere, not just better phone calls. You just then need a carrier/phone/plan that can do wifi calling.
0 Kudos
Ctails0
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter. I have Optus FTTN with a wired network through my house and a ubiquity wap. Apart from the old router that is getting replaced, my nbn is not too bad. Some slow days but pretty reasonable really.
My black spot is for 3G 4G. I can get 3 bars of 4G on my front lawn but it drops to SOS only inside or at best 1 bar 3G. Which usually means the phone will ring but won’t connect. I have got a bit sick of it as it is progressively getting worse. I have friends with Telstra who can get up to 4bars 4G where I can get nothing. So if the fix with Optus is not a reasonable one I will probably change to Telstra as much as I do not wish to go down that track.
Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos