cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Remmet
Occasional Contributor

Mobile broadband coverage map vs device descriptions?

I've been looking at the various mobile broadband modems (http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/mobilebroadband).  The trouble is that all 3 of the ones on the page say they are 4G Plus, but when I look at the network coverage app, only the middle Netgear one shows as having the purple 4G coverage for my address, the others show 3G only.  

(Note that I couldn't even find the first device on the list of products, so I used the similar looking Huawei device which may be a different model for all I know)

Which is correct?  Should I trust the coverage map or the device pages?  

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mobile broadband coverage map vs device descriptions?

Optus would say it's simply a guide and I would say it's almost impossible to guarantee service as radio waves don't like obstructions. In my location the coverage map says 3G only and it's only outside coverage. Most of the time I get 4G and I use the device inside.

I think the best method for determining coverage is with a mobile phone with an Optus sim. If you get strong 3G or 4G coverage on the mobile then there's a good chance it's going to be just as good with a mobile broadband device. If you dont have an Optus mobile account you can always grab a $2 sim at the post office for testing purposes.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Remmet
Occasional Contributor

I have a 3-5 bar signal inside with my phone (Optus X Spirit) so all I was after was a device with a comparable antenna.  I was just weirded out by the network coverage map suggesting that the 2 Huawei devices wouldn't be able to use the 4G coverage that the Netgear device apparently could.  

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Both the devices I have are Huawei I think. One is the small e5573 and the other is the in car device with the cigarette lighter attachment. Both devices work for me on 4G and both devices have the option for an external antenna that I have never had to use.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Remmet 

You can always check an external site such as https://oztowers.com.au/. You'll be able to confirm what sorts of LTE frequency bands are emitted from your local tower.

Huawei E5186s-64 G LTE Cat 6 Modem/Router

LTE 700/1800/2300/2600MHz
DC-PA+/HSPA+/UMTS 900/2100MHz
GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz

Huawei E5573

900/2100MHz
4G NETWORK
FDD 1800/2600/700/2100MHz, TDD 2300MHz

Net gear AC00S

900/2100

4G BANDS (MHZ)

700 (B28), 1800 (B3), 2100 (B1), 2300 (B40), 2600 (B7)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

>>I was just weirded out by the network coverage map suggesting that the 2 Huawei devices wouldn't be able to use the 4G coverage that the Netgear device apparently could. 

The map is wrong for certain devices, esp E5573.

When I look for coverage, I enter the E8372 which is the car wifi modem. They have entered that on the map correctly.

They've tried to make the map too clever, but have entered incorrect data, which makes it pointless and dumb instead

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I guess you could describe the coverage indicator map on our website as a consumer friendly version of the system that's used on our end. We use a system called map blaster which actually breaks down coverage at a individual frequency level.

It does sound like the map needs updating to reflect the sort of coverage to be expected. I'll feed this one back to the team.

If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

The map itself is probably fine, but when you enter E5573, the result is missing 700Mhz coverage.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I'll see if they can get that updated. It's sure to cause a bit of confusion. 

0 Kudos