cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor jeffparker
Occasional Contributor

Mobile Data and Mobile Hotspot don't work when making a phone call

Hi, on my Samsung Note 9, when I have my Surface Pro connected to the internet via its hotspot, and I make a phone call, the Surface is disconnected from the Internet.

This is a big problem as often during phone calls I need to do something on the Surface that uses the internet.

Also, I've been experimenting today with the new Your Phone app from Microsoft, which now has the ability to make and recieve calls on a connected PC, but this fails if the PC is using the phone's mobile data.

I travel a fair bit for work, and this way of connecting my Surface to the internet is often the only way I can do it.

Does anyone know how to fix this, i.e. so that data continues to be used when on a phone call?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Mobile Data and Mobile Hotspot don't work when making a phone call

Sounds like you either dont have VoLTE turned on in your phone settings or perhaps not activated on Optus side.

VoLTE lets you use tge 4g network to make calls (so it does not have to switch to 3g to do so, and tgis is your likely issue).

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Occasional Contributor

Hi, thanks, that is very helpful, and caused me to focus on searching about VoLTE. One page I found is:

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/custom/page/page-id/tp2/VoLTE-support

But on my Note 9, the VoLTE slider option does not appear in the Mobile Networks page in Settings. In other places people say this has to do with yoiur carrier's config.

I saw that Wi-Fi Calling seems to be related, so I switched that on, rebooted the phone, but the VoLTE setting still does not appear.

I'm currently in Jakarta, using my Optus SIM for data roaming in slot 1. I also have a Telkomsel SIM card in slot 2, that I use for data when my Optus allowance runs out. I've tested having both providers set for calls, sms and data and rebooted each time, but the VoLTE option still does not appear. My normal config is Optus for calls and SMS and Telkomsel for data.

I'm not connected to a wi-fi network and have wi-fi turned off. That shouldn't matter should it?

Anything else anyone can think of please?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

You most likely wont get VoLTE roaming in most places.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Add to that - wifi calling needs VoLTE as it hands over to VoLTE if you move out of wifi range.

You can have VoLTE and not WiFi calling but not other way around.
Wifi calling only applies within Australia anyway.

Occasional Contributor

Ok. Thanks. Optus support says it will work fine when I'm back in Australia, but not while overseas, which is a pain, as I need to be able to have data working (to hotspot my Surface to the Internet) simultaneously with being able to make and take calls.

0 Kudos