Occasional Contributor

Re: Microsoft Teams poor performance on NBN 100 with speed pack

Yup same with tether to Voda. I’m now on another ISP and no issues. Good luck
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Pushingwater wrote:
Interesting reply and not very insightful.”.

How would you know how insightful it is? I spent eight hours trying to isolate this exact issue on my machine (not on Optus NBN). I disabled drivers, bypassed modems, ran via mobile hotspots, uninstalled router FW, changed GPUs. At times the issue cleared temporarily but then resumed. 

I found booting to Safe Mode & Networking completely resolved the problem every time. Not a solution but diagnostically relevant IMO. No one on this thread appears to have bothered trying it. You can only lead a horse to water.

abutler11
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I’m experiencing this issue also, call performance is horrible, screen sharing is unworkable. I’ve attempted a number of permutations to attempt to resolve this, I’m on 100MB speed pack plan (usually ~100Mb down / ~40Mb up) - which is over HFC.

I’ve found a better work around than safe mode with networking - Tether device with hotspot (ie 4G - in this case Optus 4G mobile) which resolves the issue immediately, and then revert back to home connection (ie wired or wireless).

Have to follow this process with each new initiated call/meeting, otherwise video quality and screen sharing are horrible. Not sure why/how this works- but hopefully Optus (or their upstream service providers do something - it’s been like this for months).

Optus - before you say update your windows drivers and teams client, I’ve already done that (repeatedly) I’m using the latest, the issue doesn’t go away. This has been an ongoing issue since March 2021 (worked A-Ok prior to this).

Vodafone uses the Optus network, something’s not right - might be time to switch back to Telstra..
0 Kudos
Nard_YC

@abutler11, It sounds like you've tried most troubleshooting already. If you're still facing issues, I'd recommend getting in touch with our 24x7 Messaging Team via the My Optus App to see if a case needs to be raised so they can investigate the root cause of the issue and see if it lies on our end. 

I'd also recommend reaching out to Microsoft/Teams Support so they can also investigate on their end.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
Pushingwater
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I’ve been with iiNet since this posting was created and it’s been working great. You can spend a lot of time helping the ISP fix or debug issues. I hope they do fix the issue soon, free and an open market allows the consumer to make choices now. Good luck with the weeks of testing and debugging. P.s I went down to full packet capture - no avail or request to analyse from the ISP.
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I did manage to resolve the issue. Had the same problem (incoming image and sound were fine but out going had delays and lag). Unfortunately it required my IT Department to make a change. The fix is turning off Teams client QOS Reporting. This is done from the work server side. Its a simple switch. Note, It does take about 8 hours for the action to propagate to all clients (So don't toggle it off and expect things to start working immediately)

I found the following day all Teams lag had gone (we also toggled QOS back and confirmed that the problem returned)
0 Kudos
eb123
New Contributor
New Contributor

My issue was also resolved after the embarrassingly simple step of a router & modem restart.  Potentially a cached DNS update problem.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

No need to be embarrassed. More than 50% of an IT professionals job is turning stuff off and back on again to make it work.
0 Kudos
abutler11
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@Nard_YC - I have attempted to raise this with Optus support, and wasn't taken seriously. 
I've now just changed service providers and this issue no longer exists.  This is a specific issue impacting Optus customers, perhaps with HFC/speed pack.

I've now got a better deal, saving about $25 a month, and it literally got cutover in 1 hour, and I don't have to deal with the crap service I've had to put up with.  Optus best take note - this issue has seriously impacted my productivity when I'm working primarily from home, and you've lost a customer that's been with you for 10 years.  Way too slow to respond to this critical issue.

0 Kudos
LENSAC
New Contributor
New Contributor

Adding my voice to this also. I have had ongoing teams specific problems and came across this thread. Multiple uninstalls, re-installs, patching and change of routers and modems. I did get a much better result when moving homes with the same speed pack and NBN over HFC. The good performance lasted about 2 days and then went back to the same results. Experiencing grainy video and delays on presenting content. A colleague was having the same issues with FTTP and Optus which was fixed by moving to another provider (Superloop) reading this thread it seems pretty hit and miss on the providers that have this issue.
Optus, can you supply more in the way of diagnosis? I have been a customer for many years and dont want to churn to a new provider to fix a problem like this..

0 Kudos
Top Contributors