Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Kishor
Occasional Contributor

MIA Sphere Live p/o Top 10 service

I paid the $100 upgrade contract fee for the new Samsung Galaxy Note 8 last October and only just noticed that since the November bill, I have been paying an additional $10 A WEEK to the above unintended subscription service. I'm guessing I can only just STOP the service now as it has been so long, a refund of  8 months at $40 will not be entertained. How they get one over you should be illegal. Must have just pressed a click-bait on Facebook or something and BANG.. charges confirmed without email confirming a sc=bscription has been started, for a service I have NEVER used or asked for.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: MIA Sphere Live p/o Top 10 service

@Kishor, I've sent you a private message.

You're welcome to chat with us there. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Kishor

It is illegal. After a decade or so the ACCC is quietly pointing that out to various Telcos. Telstra is paying back millions. Optus has stopped accepting these services on their customers behalf a few months back. Generally if you request a refund you're entitled to it in this area. 

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Kishor
Occasional Contributor

How the heck did they manage to get away with it in the first place? (In the name of free enterprise I guess!)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The short answer is they didn't. The scam has been going for over a decade and back in those days Optus actually owned more than 50% of all "third party" premium SMS services. The scammers back then got too greedy and there were many cases of $100s of dollars being siphoned off with little to no recourse. The ACCC stepped in finally and a code was developed to put an end to the excesses.

This meant that the scam morphed from big $$$ to lots of little "subscriptions". In general if you managed to spot it on your bill and request a refund these were also mostly granted. That way complainers got a quick refund and the scammers pocketted the rest. ACCC gets no reports so everyone is happy.

Unfortunately there was a loop hole in the code that meant that the scammers were the ones required to get a clear double opt in confirmation of any "subscription" (which obviously they hardly ever got). The Telcos never asked for proof of this confirmation (or if they did they were happy enough to accept that it never turned up). 

So to the modern day when we understand the Corporations are Psychopaths (full off conciensious individual workers but still somehow able to do "evil" (as google tries to tell its staff to try avoid) collaboratively. So the ACCC is once again explaining to the Telcos that ripping off your own customers is not acceptable, nor is standing by and letting other companies to do so either. 

I should clarify that Optus has had no official statement from the ACCC in connection with this now defunct scheme (only Telstra so far)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors