Searching...
Highlighted

Low signal in an area supposed to have "great" signal

RJP61

Recently joined Optus with 4 devices - all Apple.  Optus on line network coverage tool says I should have "great" indoor coverage at my address.  Which makes sense: I am on a hill top only about 600m from nearest tower.  However, all 4 devices never more than 1 or 2 bars 4G, often fall over to 3G, sometimes SOS or No Service.  Can't reliably make voice calls.  Trying to escalate with Optus.  Meanwhile, running Field Test on iPhone 6.   Can some knowledgable contributor tell me how to interpret the Serving Cell Measurements to determine whether it really is a signal strength problem?

Re: Low signal in an area supposed to have "great" signal

petergdownload

Have you checked for an outage in the area on the Optus website?

Peter Gillespie

RJP61

Yes, the nearest towers all show normal service.  Been this way since I joined up a bit over a week ago.

Ray_YC

You've mentioned you're trying to escalate to Optus, can you please elaborate on this?

If you meant by doing so here, we can only offer general information.

Did you order the services online based on the coverage tool information or order them in person?

Either way you would need to contact us (which you may have already done) for further assistance with this.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

RJP61

Chatted at length with Optus rep via the App, who eventually agreed it was a coverage issue and said he would escalate to the “coverage team”.  Haven’t heard back from them yet.  I saw a reference to the Field Test on another thread here and tried it but don’t know enough about what it is showing me to interpret. Hence original  question.  Assuming Optus network coverage contacts me, I would like to have collected some data on signal levels first.  However, as you probably know the field test shows several different dB measures and I don’t know how to interpret them. 

Ray_YC

Thank you. Do you have a reference number from the chat? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

RJP61

Yes, but now away from home and don’t have it  with me. Did some research on field test mode and learnt that RSSI is relevant measure for 3G and RSRP for 4G.  However field test doesn’t always report the dBm. Not sure why not.

RJP61

Final note on this. Optus network team called to follow through on the escalation. On Sunday morning! Apparently my neighborhood is a known black spot, which Optus has no plans to remedy. This powerful irritating on several levels.  

It is a black spot on Optus internal coverage map, but the public coverage map misleadingly says “great service”.

The Optus store agent who signed me on should have advised me of this before proceeding.

Amazing that Optus, aspiring to be a major provider, cant deliver service to an inner urban hill top in Brisbane.

Now have to go through the nightmare of rejoining Telstra. Got no negotiating leverage at all now. 

petergdownload

I agree a known blackspot should definitely be shown on a coverage map. FWIW I don't think the coverage maps are all that accurate. They're most likely essentially automatically generated (i.e. when Optus put a tower in then there's a radius around it that can be 'expected' to be able to use it. Add some acknowledgement of topography and you've got a 'coverage map' - perhaps with a few spot checks  

To be fair Optus can't check actual reception in every possible location. Marking an area a blackspot might be just as incorrect as not marking it a blackspot. It is good that they generally are fine with cancelling any contracts if reception proves problematic. 

Not sure what you mean about negotiating leverage? Sales staff aren't particularly sophisticated in negotiating strategies. There are various Telstra offers and you might get a few $ knocked off if you try. Unless you open the negotiation with the sentence "I have to go with you guys because I have no other options..." then you'll probably be right. Smiley Happy

Peter Gillespie

RJP61

The lack of leverage is that normally, approaching a telco with 4 devices to sign up gives one a certain amount of leverage to extract either a better price or more GB for the deal.  But not when you left them two weeks ago to go over to Optus, because Optus had a theoretically better deal, which they couldn't actually deliver.  Regarding coverage maps, if the Telco's internal / technical coverage map shows the neighbourhood as a black spot, then showing the public a simplified coverage map that hides the black spot?  Well, it is hard to put a good spin on that.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
26 Kudos
19 Kudos
12 Kudos
10 Kudos
8 Kudos