Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Locked SIM - Getting Contacts Back

I went into Optus yesterday to get a new nano SIM to upgrade my wife's phone (keeping the old plan and number). I thought we would be given a card that we could activate later.

I was told that the new card was activated immediately - now unfortunately the old card has been "locked" and I am unable to recover or back up all the contacts and messages on the old SIM.

Is there a way to unlock the SIM just to back up that information. My wife is not pleased!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Locked SIM - Getting Contacts Back

Only Optus can help with that (apart from online sites which can be dodgy).  What did they say in store?  Backup lesson learned i guessSmiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

usually the card inactive, ie not able to connect to the network but still able to access the contact and messages. Also, the contact and messages are backup with your google play account or icloud contact. what do you see when you put in your old sim card? rememer the old sim card would still have the old Pin number. Also, try synch the new sim card with your goolge or apple account to see if the contacts and message comes back. 

Oh, also, the contact and message might be stored on your old phone. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have put the SIM in an old phone and the only screen I can get is the SIM PIN screen - it won't let me do anything else. I can understand it locking me out of the network but not the whole phone!

Will try the Googe backup - if not I'll try using a reader.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

What is the model of the old phone? What do you see when you put in the pin? 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Using an old Galaxy Mini - can access the phone settings now by turning on flight mode.

As the SIM is now a number of years old I have no chance of finding the SIM and the PUK on My Account is now for the new SIM I'm guessing.

All I want to do is access this old SIM for 10 minutes to get the contacts - how hard is it. Still not happy Optus girl didn't warn me about this and activated it on the spot. Intended backing up before using the new phone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

Hey @Stevo44,

Have the contacts been exported from the SIM card to the handsets internal memory/storage? If so, you should be able to transfer your contacts via Bluetooth. There are a number of applications out there to assist in transferring data between two handsets Android to IOS vice versa.

Did you ever save your contacts to your Google account? To be honest with you, SIM card storage is redundant technology. I understand that there may be customers out there that still save contacts to their SIM cards but it’s not the sort of thing we’d insist our consultants make customers aware of.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

"All I want to do is access this old SIM for 10 minutes to get the contacts - how hard is it. " 

Well if the contacts is keep on the phone then you already have access to it. If it contact is on the sim then all you need to do is to unlock your sim with the PIN number that you've been using prior to the sim swap. Only you know that PIN, how long ago did you do the sim swap? 

Not sure if Optus still have the details of your old sim. If you are the account holder then worth a try contacting support via live chat to see if optus can provide you the PUK code. 

However, try to remember the PIN to your old sim, because that is what going to unlock it and let you access to the contacts stored on it.