Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Legal Financial Obligation for a non-performing service during COVID19?

So just to make things real for everyone. Optus, please tell us your company's current position in payment requirements for a service that is substandard (not as contractually stipulated), during the COVID19 Pandemic, but not categorically only a direct result of the COVID19 Pandemic? What is your Official Stance with customers who think the service was/is substandard before/after the recent pandemic event, but regardless, currently consider the service practically non-existent during this pandemic?

Who can claim a reduction for services that they deem unsatisfactory as per their particular Service Agreement? List all reasons.

Will understand the lag in responding, these are tough times for everyone, augmented by inadequate service providers, and that represents Checkmate.

9 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Legal Financial Obligation for a non-performing service during COVID19?

I wouldn't be expecting an official response any time soon but fwiw the answers to those questions are already available. Australians are always covered by consumer guarantees and in essence if a service is not fit for purpose (or as advertised) then you can request a refund (and exit any commercial contract etc.)

Note that all residential plans are provided on a best efforts basis in any case. There are no service level agreements (those that do have those legal protections already have contracted remedies and options in the SLA - which cost a lot more than $100 a month)

We've also seen similar issues (i.e. not necessarily in the companies control) that end up with free data days or partial refunds to most customers (I'm thinking Telstra with its outages a while ago). Those are however public relations exercises rather than legally obligated.

Ultimately, if you feel you no longer wish to be with Optus you should contact them (I suggest write) and explain you wish to leave. Then discus if there are any penalties that might apply or be waived.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Peter, I believe I have seen your responses before, they all seem to take a discernible and defensible position in Optus's favour. Are you an Optus employee? Or do you receive any remuneration, of any form, from Optus or any of it's affiliated companies?

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You'd be hard put to miss them (my posts) 😀  @NaCly. If you roamed a bit wider you'd find I'm a mixed bag when it comes to Optus.

Rather than pointlessly swear on the bible I'm not an Optus employee (They're clearly indicated as Moderators) I'd prefer it if you played the posts and not the man. I covered 3 or 4 different angles to your question including helpful info on how you already have access to what you seem to be after? 

Optus are scrambling like almost every other company in the nation to protect employees, support customers and ensure the business survives. It does seem a bit churlish at the moment to be demanding recompense?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ethically they should indicate as moderators. Want another chance to answer??? Realistically, I asked Optus to officially respond, however I did word it for other non-optus to relate, I suppose. Here's another chance??? Really think Optus is in the same boat as every other company in this nation? How do you know that? Perhaps you are right, maybe I should just stop being CHURLISH and pay the invoices as they arrive, for an unsatisfactory service, and even though it seems like throwing money in the toilet, I should turn the other cheek, like an appreciative and obedient sheep, albeit directed for slaughter. Thanks Optus.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@NaCly wrote:

however I did word it for other non-optus to relate, I suppose. 

Not to mention that this is a public forum where anyone can respond, regardless of who you addressed your post to.

As for my Optus affiliation, in case you are interested:

Spoiler
Feel free to speculate all you want about that.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Ethically they do (Says Moderator right next to their tag). I suspect there's also heavy legal requirements too. Optus is responsible for what their employees say and do.

I didn't suggest you keep paying for a substandard service. Just that seeking some compensation in times like these is a bit on the nose IMO. For the official Optus response they've made various posts you can google or read on their site:

https://www.optus.com.au/about/media-centre/media-releases/2020/03/optus-update-covid-19-coronavirus...

As mentioned you are free to end your arrangement with Optus if it is substandard or not as advertised. Perhaps they will have something in this thread but I suspect they're busy elsewhere at the moment.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

Hi, there.

We’ll be offering to our customers, including small businesses:

• Until 30 April 2020, customers can request to put their current monthly Postpaid mobile service plan charges on hold for 90 days should there be no current need for the service (please note that additional charges such as device repayments and extras are not included and will continue to be charged monthly during this period)
  • Waiving late payment fees for all our customers until 30 April 2020
  • Stopping disconnection and credit collection activities until 30 April 2020

I hope that helps. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Just jumping on this because the chat function in my app won't work... and can see no otherway to contact anyone at this time

I'm now without broadband service for the entire current billing period, at the time I need it most (directed to work from home). The times that App Chat has been working, no one has been able to offer any support apart from the turn off turn on your modem.

1) Can Optus please tell me how to contact when you're not accepting calls at this time - automatedly directing to the App Chat; and

2) How do I go about being reimbursed for this month of straight out non service?

I appreciate this is a difficult time for all - but would appreciate any help at all.

Thanks kindly!

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus will refund the months amount on request if the service is out. They can also confirm you've been without for that time and used no data easily. If its a non time critical issue (like getting a refund) then perhaps best to write an official letter and it will get processed in due course.

Otherwise the recommended actions for non urgent options is

Alternatively try get through to service and arrange the month to month option with no modem.

Dial 133 937. Mon - Fri: 8am - 7pm (AEDT) Sat: 9am - 5pm (AEDT)

Don't press 1 and hold the line, you'll either be on hold and get through to someone or get the standard IVR to enter your service number and follow the prompts and press 3 to cancel. Times can vary from a few minutes to many hours.

Alternatively: Leave a message in the Optus Mobile App (If possible) or try Optus Twitter or Facebook sites.
0 Kudos