cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
New Contributor
New Contributor

Just switched to postpaid SIM no service when I’m at work

This is a personal account and I checked my work address was in the coverage area but my phone struggles to even get 3G and mostly on SOS.

Service works great everywhere else but not at work. I didn’t have this issue with my previous provider.

What can I do? I need my phone to be used when I work
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: Just switched to postpaid SIM no service when I’m at work

Hi there, @KobeC

Sometimes while the address shows coverage, other factors could be causing this diminished coverage experience - things like obstacles (trees, buildings and other structures).

Also, if you have ample coverage outside your house and have poor reception indoors, it can indicate that the building itself may be the culprit. Building materials that can impact your experience can be; window insulation/tinting, foil-based roof insulation, metal roofing (eg. Colorbond), concrete & brick, metal support structures, large metallic surfaces (eg. Garage Roller Doors), copper plumbing & wiring.

Do you have access to a WiFi signal when at work? If so, Optus WiFi Calling may be of assistance to you. 

The WiFi Calling feature allows you to use the WiFi signal to send/receive calls and text. You can find more about this on our WiFi Calling Support page

New Contributor
New Contributor

I’m unable to use Wifi a lot of the time due to high traffic. I just don’t understand why my previous provider gave me no issues and now I’ve got this issue and it’s draining my battery. I’m not in a position where I can just charge my phone during a shift.
0 Kudos

Hi @KobeC,

We build our coverage maps using the latest tools so we can show you predicted Optus mobile outdoor coverage as best we can.

But, like any radio-based network, coverage is going to vary in quality and availability. This could be due to the factors I mentioned above, as well as because of your device type, how close you are to our nearest mobile tower, or how many people are using the network where you are. 

Different networks may have their towers in different places, so the distance to the tower is different than the previous network you were with etc. 

You could try running through the steps on our Troubleshooting Mobile Internet Connectivity page, as this includes steps on refreshing your connection to the network. This may assist in connecting you to closer towers etc, while at work. 

You may also wish to discuss this with our Technical Team by messaging us via the My Optus App. The team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible. 

Just to let you know, our systems are currently undergoing necessary maintenance, so in this instance you may be unable to reach out this way until later in the morning. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

I’m at work on nightshift now. All troubleshooting does not work.

I work in shiftwork and just know my phone will go flat trying to locate a signal all the time.

I’d like to know if there’s a cooling off period as this is unacceptable for me while I’m at work.
0 Kudos

Hi @KobeC

You can chat with the Technical Team around this and they will advise as to whether we can arrange a contract release due to mobile network troubles or not. 

Best to get in touch with them to confirm, from 8am today (Friday 27th) to discuss this further. 

New Contributor
New Contributor

Ok. Thanks for trying to help.
0 Kudos