cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor TC95
Occasional Contributor

International Roaming

Why are your international roaming packages such a rip-off? I cannot believe how inferior your roaming service is compared to Vodafone and Telstra, who for $5-10 per day allow you to use your service overseas as you would in Australia. You, on the other hand, charge $10 a day for a pithy 100 MB of data. That is a rort. To make matters worse, the usage notifications (ie. texts and emails notifying you that you are approaching or exceeding your purchased data threshold) are delayed, and it is very easy to quickly incur exorbitant overage charges. 

To make matters worse, often the global roaming doesn’t even work, despite my paying $10 a day and being told that I am exceeding my data usage. How am I using data when my internet does not even work!

I also don’t yet have a working international voicemail, despite spending 30 minutes on the phone to your service desk on two separate calls. Additionally, I was recently on hold for 15 minutes to inquire about cancelling my contract, and the service rep accidentally hung up on me! Sums up my experience with Optus perfectly. My mobile app doesn’t work properly either. Your whole service platform is unreliable and extremely disappointing. 

I was a happy Vodafone customer and am now a very unhappy Optus customer. I will be leaving Optus the moment my contract expires. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: International Roaming

Hi there TC95,

When customers are global roaming they are using the local network of the country they are visiting at the time. If it doesn't work, users can try to perform a manual network selection in their phone settings to choose another network, otherwise it's generally not something that Optus can help resolve.

Not sure what you mean about international voicemail? Do you mean voicemail on your mobile whilst you are away roaming? It would work normally as it does when you're home. Do you mean you have trouble accessing your voicemail messages? 

In what way does your app not work properly? What version do you have installed? Have you tried deleting and downloading it again?

Customers can also Chat with us for assistance, this may be a more convenient option when travelling.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor TC95
Occasional Contributor

Re: International Roaming

Not only does this not address the crux of my issue, it is a long-winded, evasive and condescending attempt to provide some semblance of customer service. 

To respond to one part, when I call the international voicemail number (as the domestic one does not work), I am asked three times to enter my pin, and then the cal hangs up. This happens every time without fail, even when I put the correct pin in (which has been texted to me).

0 Kudos