Searching...
Highlighted

How to get a tower installed

KJM

Gday,

I have just spoken to Optus and they asked me to post a question here.

There is a tower at Peak Alone NSW http://oztowers.com.au/home/fullsiteinfo?siteid=3908 

I want this upgraded to 4G so I can use it instead of the failing Skymuster. There is a whole community that will use this service if it is made available.

What is the process for getting the tower upgraded or a new service installed..??

Re: How to get a tower installed

SamSam

I'm probably wrong but I thought this sort of thing would normally go to your local member of parliament and council. They would lobby the telco's if enough support was shown from the community which given what you've said, would happen.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Big ask I think. Normally something Telstra would decide for themselves. You could try put together a petition of your community and get that to the right department in Telstra.

Sure its promotional but apparently Sky Muster 2 only went operational about a month ago? Its possible your setup will improve.

Punch YOWRIE into here and you'll see you're wedged in between two 4G sites. The tower is actually owned by Telstra so you'd need to contact them about any upgrade to 4G. It seems Telstra are doing a big upgrade to remote towers but doesn't look like Yowrie is on the list Smiley Sad. I'd have thought an existing tower would be much easier to get upgraded than requesting a new one though.

Parliment seemed to agree you need better connections in 2009.

Good Luck

Regards

Peter Gillespie

KJM

Thanks for the reply, Yes for 12 months we have been going through the local member. The final correspondence is that the Minister for communication does not interfere with the business of telecommunications and decisions are left to the respective organisations. I have been told that in the event of an election this may change if Labor is elected into parliament. Our only recourse to comment working with telcos. This is the beginning.

[ Edited ]
KJM

Yes indeed all of those things. I have been at this for about 12 months. This is a simultaneous attempt to get telcos to do something as NBNCo are only interested if our farming community pays $200K for a change of delivery platform from Skymuster to fixed wireless. I quoted the strategic plan to Mike Kelly MP and to his credit he chased it up with the Minister but he was served with the reply that the Minister does not interfere with the business when making coverage decisions.

Our only hope is to get 4/5 G installed by a telco or for Labor to win an election. The tower is there we just need someone to tell us how we get the service upgraded.

Thx for your reply.

petergdownload

I would suggest 200K would be money well spent. About 50 households in Yowrie (plus others around?) brings it to around $8000 a household (assuming half balk). Possibly the council could arrange a $100,000 loan and apply it to the rates (say an extra $200 a year from everyone? Crowd funding. Nearby bigger towns etc.

Course that requires a lot of work to pull together but maybe? I'm just not sure 4G is a great alternative to broadband. You're talking $100-$150 a month for 100 Gb or so. Be cheaper to get the fixed wireless maybe?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
17 Kudos
16 Kudos
10 Kudos
9 Kudos
8 Kudos