Searching...
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

How long for NBN installation to activate?

[ Edited ]
Squiddly

Hi guys. I have just upgraded from ADSL to NBN cable. The boxes are installed and the modem is connected. I have green lights across the board but no traffic (flashing). All devices connect to the WiFI network with the supplied password. Accessing the router from the browser displays 'you are connected to the internet'. Entering any website address reveals 211.29.152.203 in the address bar and then it times out. I am guessing that everything good is my end and I haven't been activated. Am I right, and how long should I wait before I start worrying?

Solution

Re: How long for NBN installation to activate?

Toomey

Your line will normally activate within 4 hours. If your issue persists, I would advise checking with our NBN Activation team on 1300300427.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Tom020

If you are getting a timeout issue, its usually because some equipment is not set up correctly/something is interfering with the equipment and diminishing the quality of signal through the cable.

This commonly can be caused by you/the client having a phone connected to the same line, without a filter attached to it.
It is also commonly caused by (especially in new installations) poor connections being set up by the NBN team, or by Telstra (telstra owns the copper wires that go from the NBN node, to your home).

So the first thing to check, is to check you have an ADSL/PHONE filter for your phone line.
The next thing to do is to call your service provider and ask them to troubleshoot this (they have a team specifically set up for troubleshooting technical issues with modems/routers).
Their technical team should be able to figure out by running a few tests on the line, where the issue is happening (weather its a programming problem with optus, a copper issue from telstra, or an NBN node issue with NBN.co).

Yeah its pretty frustrating that there are 3 different companies responsible for the performance of your internet connection, and 2 of them aren't under contract to do anything for you in a hurry.
You can thank the government for that... (good 'ol fiber to the node putting us further in debt than fibre to the home would have, and allowing our internet infrastructure to be owned by a private company, telstra).

GLmoderated

Had a notice that the NBN was available in my area , consultand rang me saying the adsl was discontinuing on 8th November so on her advice I went ahead with connection. 15th the so called connectin went ahead . I contacted Optus because I have not been activated, the consultant said oh slight problems will be done in 24 hours , Friday 17th still not activated the chat line is unavailable,  I have not herd from OPtus , I will be without internet over weekend and to add isult to injury My ADSL has slowed down to the point where I loose the connection constantly . well at least I can use my wifes Vodaphone to send important emails, and keep intouch with clients , no thanks to Optus.

Aman_B

Hi @GLmoderated, definitely not good to hear Emma and we're really sorry it didn't work out the way it should. Could you please confirm if you still need a hand with your enquiry? If you do then please contact us  Here  with your order , ID details and we can look into this. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Amy88

Been waiting since 1pm today spoke to activation team they said technical issue yet technical team assure me that it’s activations issue fix it now

[ Edited ]
CamA1

I was told my nbn would be activated Tuesday. It wasn’t activated, so I called them up and they can see that NBN is installed but the Optus back end team haven’t finished activating it in the Optus system. I was told to wait 24-48 hours. I tried calling again after the 48 hours because it was still not activated the first guy hung up on me so I called back again to be told the back end team need to complete the activation still but their department is closed for the day now and to call back in the morning. I call back for the fourth time and get told the back end team need to activate it in Optus still it will take 24-48 hours to complete. Now my mobile bill is going to be huge because I had to hotspot and use data from my phone which has gone over my usage already and I’m not even half way through my billing cycle.

I understand things get missed from time to time but why does it take 4 conversation with Optus and still get no where!

Ray_YC

This is not something that we can currently assist with here on the forum. 

If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details. 

If not, please chat with us.
If for some reason it is still not resolved, please follow our complaints process.  

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
24 Kudos
17 Kudos
14 Kudos
11 Kudos
7 Kudos