Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
AlexandraM
New Contributor
New Contributor

How is 5G Mobile coverage determined on map

Hi 

I currently have 4g wireless broadband over the mobile network. When I got it, the coverage map showed my house was not in the coverage area. The map ended about 30 metres from my place. I decided to roll the dice and get the wireless broadband and it worked from day one. I would like to swap over to the 5g wireless broadband. When I look at the map I can see dots where the 5g works up to about 50 metres from my house. 

What I would like to know is how is the coverage area determined?  Even though I am showing sitting just outside the 5g area, will Optus still allow me to purchase the 5g wireless broadband? 

Is there a way to test whether I can get 5g from my house?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kartika

Re: How is 5G Mobile coverage determined on map

Hi @AlexandraM, 5G does not work the same way as 4G. 4G works on a lower frequency as such can travel far in other words covers more area. On the other hand 5G works on a higher frequency so the signal can`t travel far. Also the 5G home broadband modem has to be in direct line with the mobile tower. Even a small obstructions means it won`t work. We can only provide 5G home broadband service if is under coverage and serviceable. 

Our 5G network is growing and evolving each day. We are working hard to bring 5G into more areas.

In saying that you can register your interest here →   https://www.optus.com.au/content/optus/en/for-you/broadband-nbn/5g-home-broadband/5g-home-broadband-... and we will notify you when it is available at your address.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"Even though I am showing sitting just outside the 5g area, will Optus still allow me to purchase the 5g wireless broadband? "

No, Optus staff are fairly dogmatic on the 5G availability. If your house is not on the list then you just have to wait. You could check out Telstra 5G options as they may cover you now. There's no telling when Optus will assign your house as 5G ready. Your neighbour could be yes and you no. 

That said, Its apparently possible to put in another nearby address if you sign up online (try a few around you.) Then set the delivery address for the equipment to your place. That way you can have a go at 5G. Note that if it doesn't work at your home I'm not sure on the process or option to return the equipment for a refund.

AlexandraM
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Petergdownload

Thanks for the suggestions. Telstra is not an option as their plans are too expensive.

Cheers

0 Kudos
AlexandraM
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Kartika
Thanks for the info. I will just have to wait.
Cheers
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Actually Telstra doesn't seem to even be an option yet for 5G home internet. I wonder if there are some behind the scenes things going on - Telstra has various non compete clauses with the NBN etc. You'll have to wait and see I suppose. Optus 5G pricing ATM is very competitive (if you can get it)
0 Kudos
Top Contributors