cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Home Wireless Broadband download speed drops from 12 mbps to 5 mbps

After I have done the update on the Huawei E5186, I noticed that the download speed is no longer 12 mbps. It is now 5 mbps instead. When I signed up for this service back in September 2016, it was 12 mbps. What is going on?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Home Wireless Broadband download speed drops from 12 mbps to 5 mbps

Hello,

This means its no longer connecting to 2300Mhz 4G (this is needed for 12/1 speed on this product).

Did you change any settings before to set it to use 2300Mhz? - other people have done so and updating the software on the device (happened recently) woudl undo those changes.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

It means the modem has slipped off the band 40 which is designed for their home broadband. If you look in device info you will see it's on band 3 or 28. These two frequencies have better penetration into your house, and can replace the official 2300mhz, you are supposed to be using. I suspect the updated firmware is more suspect about a weak 2300mhz signal, so moves over to the normal 4G channels. The normal fdd channels have much lower bandwidth than the 2300 tdd region, so they penalise you for using them, by restricting you to 5/1. In theory, you can register HWB in Sydney, and then take the modem out to the bush, and then use all the tower bandwidth.

The way out of it, is to use the locking software they use over on Whirlpool forum. Forcing the issue has mixed results, if you have poor reception.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for you advice. I've checked the LTE Band info and it is 3. I will check out the locking software in whirlpool and see how it goes.

Thanks once again.

0 Kudos