Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
waayoutback
New Contributor
New Contributor

Help getting my Mum a more stable connection near Dunoon

G'day folks.

Trying to help my Mum get a more stable connection from her rural place. I'd like to know roughly what speed she should be getting with the following setup. So far she's anywhere between 1.5mbps when it rains to 5mbps tops on a perfect day.

She's using the tower at: 10 Fraser Road DUNOON NSW 2480 which she pretty much has line-of-sight, her being up pretty high on a hill: https://web.acma.gov.au/rrl//site_search.site_lookup?pSITE_ID=9020408

That tower has a 700Mhz and 1800Mhz Optus band available, with those using antennas with 330°, 200° and 80° azimuths (according to ACMA).

Her distance is 6.88km from the tower, and her property is roughly exactly the same height if we include the fact that the tower is 40m high. She has an expensive high powered, high gain 4G+ Yagi directional antenna from Telcoantennas which supports BOTH 700Mhz and 1800Mhz bands, installed on her roof.

Her 4G router is a Huawei B315S-22 (or similar B315 model). Which supports up to 150Mbps. She has the antenna connected into the back of this device.

I'd like to know what band should she be using. Should she lock her router to 700Mhz or 1800Mhz?

What speeds should be she expecting with an almost 7km range?

Additionally, is there anything specific we could know that would help her increase her speed at this point? She's going to cut down a tree or two, but she basically has direct line of sight (can see the tower through binoculars from her house). We've used a compass and ACMA website to calculate the exact bearing and 1.4m antenna mount on her roof. I thought with a good angle and antenna she should be getting double the speed she currently is.

Any info or help is greatly appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
waayoutback
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Help getting my Mum a more stable connection near Dunoon

Hang on sorry. Her router is a Huawei B525, so a 300Mbps model and a fair bit newer model than the one I originally mentioned.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Steven_YC

Hi @waayoutback - Thanks for your question here and sharing a full detailed explanation.

There's going to be multiple factors that can determine the overall speed including the variables you've included. You're able to check the exact coverage and what we've classified as acceptable indoor/outdoor range using our Coverage Map here.

Based off your address and what you've mentioned about the clear line of sight, I'd test both frequencies as they could both have different effects based off your address and the way the house is structured.

If you also have access to the modem, you can change it to 4G only which has helped in my scenario in getting better speeds on 4G itself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

waayoutback
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks a lot Steven! I'm unfortunately overseas at the time so I can't help her physically but I'll remote into her computer tonight and check the modem settings this way. Previously we used LTEWatch: https://www.lte-anbieter.info/ltewatch/index-en.php

Which massively improved getting the antenna angle and such set up at her last location but that was using a different ISP and different tower. All things considered this one should have better line-of-sight and should generally get a better connection than her old one.

I really appreciate the fast reply and advice. It's a big step above other ISPs we've used in the past and it means a lot even just to communicate with customers on the forum.

I'll report back if there's any other questions I think someone here could answer.

Have a lovely Christmas!

Tags (1)
Steven_YC

We're here to provide support where we can, @waayoutback.

You're more than welcome to report the findings and steps used here and we can re-evaluate and try to provide assistance from our community and other users. 

Merry Christmas and have a lovely New Years.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.