cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Google Pixel 5 VoLTE Support on Optus' Network

Hi,

I've recently purchased a Pixel 5 from Optus and have noticed that the Google Pixel 5 is not supported for VoLTE on the Optus network even thought the Pixel 5 does support VoLTE.

https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/support/answer?id=20032

When will you enable support for VoLTE for the Google Pixel 5?

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Google Pixel 5 VoLTE Support on Optus' Network

That list is over a year out of date (E.g apple iPhone 11 range isn't listed and that released sept 2019)

Use the Optus messaging service and ask for them to turn on volte.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I've already spoken to Optus and they have confirmed that VoLTE is enabled on my account.

However, whenever I have tethered my phone on a 4G network, the connection drops to HSDPA when I make or receive a phone call, making the data connection almost unusable during the call.

The "VoLTE" icon never displays on the Pixel 5 and the "VoLTE" option under network settings has been disabled/removedPixel5.png.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I was under the impression that Optus has zero control over the firmware for the pixel range compared to other vendors who don't use "vanilla" Android.

Android has the facility to receive carrier settings from manufacturers, would have expected that would be how settings are setup on pixels.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hey @StevenB, thanks for reaching out. I have just checked the Device Guides and Google Pixels do allow Volte and so the issue does seem to be isolated to your handset. 

In the instance that it has been turned off, there might be some handset maintenance required to get the feature up and running. I would recommend having a chat to our Messenger Teams whom will be able to take a closer look into it and walk you through this process. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Unfortunately I've spoken to Optus tech support twice and the last time I was told that it's a "feature" of the Pixel 5 to downgrade to a 3G/HSDPA connection to ensure that you get a good quality connection to make a phone call. As I'm consistently averaging 90Mbps on my 4G/LTE connection, I give up if I have to downgrade to a 14Mbps HSDPA connection to get a good quality connection 🤣

I have also spoken to Google tech support as well and they instructed me to reset all the network connections via the setting menu, but still no VoLTE on reboot. They again pointed me back to Optus as the most likely cause of VoLTE not working.

Pixel5-VoLTE.png

I'll try give Optus support another call and see what happens...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Spoke to Optus tech support again and rechecked all the settings on my phone and Optus account and still no VoLTE support on the Pixel 5.

My 4G connection still downgrades to a 3G connection, running at 3 Mbps down and 0.1 Mbps up when making our receiving phone calls.

As a last resort I was asked to switch back to a physical SIM. So I'll organise a physical SIM swap and see if that makes any difference...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks for getting back to us with an update, @StevenB. Let us know how it goes 🙂 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I've just replaced the eSIM with a new SIM card and the result is exactly the same. The fast 4G connection get's downgraded to a 3G connection when making or receiving a phone call and as a result the Internet is unusable until the call ends.

I'm at a loss on where to go from here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I'm sorry to hear this @StevenB. So our teams can take a better look at this for you, please feel free to reach out to us on our official Facebook or Twitter pages so our Social Media Team can investigate this matter further from there. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors