cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Wilsontrabz
Occasional Contributor

Garbage internet

hey if anybody sees this it's just to let out some heat. Optus has been scamming my friends and family for a few years now from encouraging us to pay more money for a internet service which has trouble loading 360p videos on the internet and can barely load a Facebook video for me. As always I have called them up and asked for a solution here's what they tell me to do, they said there's upgrades in my area which affect the speed (3 years still upgrading?) and I gave them my number to message me when upgrades are taking place (never got a message). Also calling up for help they offer nothing but the same two steps reset the router or change the channel manually on the net gear website. I even went to the extent of getting a new modem because I thought that was the cause (nope). My family has Optus nbn still just as bad, a bit better download speed but occasionally gets ping spikes up to 1000 ping 1000! With NBN. As a person who didn't use unlimited internet until recent I can't really see my family's money getting wasted and scammed off like this. Because I'm in a contract they lured me into its very hard to get out so either Optus gets their game together and give me a internet connection that actually works or sign me off without fining me or my parents because I'm sure the Optus contract didn't say pay $100 a month for a garbage internet service. 0/10 service you guys are welcome because I helped you from getting scammed.

Tags (1)
8 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Garbage internet

If your access speeds are continually below what you're paying for then Optus will let you exit your contract with no penalty (they have to) Record some specific speedtests and ask Optus to cancel the contract if they can't improve access speeds.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor Feedup
New Contributor

Same here

I have notice last few weeks I am speed far bleow than what I am paying for it. I spoke with one of the Tech and he mentioned that there is some netwrok upgrade happenign no ETA.. also ask me to request to cancled that extra I paid for bettter speed. Since then it is getting worst 

I need to get some screen shot and send them to check

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Some network upgrade happening? They mean the NBN? No ETA?

Sounds like a standard "We don't know what's wrong, maybe it will be fixed one day" response.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Contributor Astrayan
Contributor

If it gets better after midnight, it's congestion.

If it's always bad, it could be distance to the exchange or node. 4km makes ADSL pretty average.

Judging by what you have said, your telephone line is cracked up from lightning or water submersion.

You could use the new limited offer 100GB 4G plans.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Steph_C
RetiredModerator

Sorry to hear about all the trouble you're having with your internet speeds @Wilsontrabz - have you had this looked into by our tech support guys?

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Contributor Tom020
Contributor

Unfortunately, NBN does not guarantee ANY speed increase changing from your ADSL to NBN. Why?
Because Telstra still owns the 80 year old copper wire infrastructure placed between NBN's awesome optic fiber cables, and your home.
Which means, even though NBN's cables are extremely fast (optic fiber can support up to 1gb/per second downloads), it doesn't change a thing to the rotten copper cables burried in a muddy water filled hole (pit) outside your home.
Your problem probably isn't with NBN's infrastructure. It's probably because the copper wires owned by telstra are rotting, and need to be replaced (This is why our government should have just done fiber to the house!).
Now because of our stupid ignorant government, we are going to have more expenses because now telstra bills our government to fix the lines (which we would end up getting hit with by taxes).

Basically you have Three options:
1. call optus, and ask for your money back for failing to offer the minimum speeds (if they decline, take the complaint to the ombudsman).

2. call optus, and INSIST that they send a technician out to do some testing on the line, because there is obviously an issue here, and their tech support on the phone obviously hasn't fixed it.
Once their technician comes out, they will test the line, and probably find that there is an issue with the copper wires (or possibly with your equipment which makes it easier to fix!), and they fix it.
The technician would have to be telstra if they are going to fix the line. If you are with telstra, they would fix this straight away after testing the line and finding a fault.
Being with optus, telstra will put this line fault repair ont he backburner until you give in and say "OK TELSTRA I'LL JOIN YOU ITS MY ONLY CHOICE! PLEASE TAKE ME!".

3. Use step one, then go join telstra, who will fix your line straight away if it remains broken when you join them, because they own the lines and can access it without jumping through hoops to repair it for you to live up to their contract.

Contributor Astrayan
Contributor

The original poster doesn't say he's on NBN.

NBN connections are congested, because both Telstra and Optus refuse to buy decent NBN backhaul, because they are trying to sell it too expensively. They are trying to build around the NBN. Old ADSL may work faster, due to the old backhaul.

Occasional Contributor Wilsontrabz
Occasional Contributor

Alright the problem is that every thing that internet providers have they over sell it and even thought Optus says they are working on fixing and upgrading the area the area will be full with new members in a weeks since the capacity is full you get congestion and because Optus is greedy they keep upgrading ( upgrading being SOOOO SLOW it’s like 6 months of pure trash internet) the internet will be “decent” for a week or a month depending on luck. After that more people will join and the congestion will rinse and repeat. That’s all I have to say #moneyisbetterthanservice

0 Kudos
Top Contributors