Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
ValentinB
New Contributor
New Contributor

Extremely slow mobile internet Freshwater 2096

Over the last few months experiencing extremely slow mobile internet at home (below 4Mbs on average). It seems to be better elsewhere, just at home and around it (Wyuna Avenue) is ridiculously slow. Optus support recommended to replace sim, but I doubt it will help, since it’s not the sim in general which is faulty but rather a particular location which matters. Being a Freshwater, no high rise or massive buildings were built lately, so it must be something with the mobile network itself.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Extremely slow mobile internet Freshwater 2096

Hi ValentinB,

Nice part of the world you're in!

So it sounds like you've contacted Optus Support however it's not clear if they actually checked the home address? Suggesting to replace the SIM indicates there is no known issue there. 

What device are you using? Are there other family members in the home that use the Optus network who also have the same issue? The neighbours? 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
ValentinB
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Ray,

Yes, both my wife and I are experiencing these problems with internet speed. It’s iPhone 7 and 8.

We haven’t asked our neighbours yet, but most likely they are using broadband plan at home.

We terminated our broadband contract more than a year ago, bumped up our mobile plans and were OK until these problems started persisting.
0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Those iPhones are old-ish so maybe the suggested SIM replacement may do the trick, it's worth a shot. Before going the SIM replacement route you can also try your SIM in someone else's phone first.

Other than that the next steps would be to invite someone over who is also with Optus to see if they have the same issue, if they do that's pretty much all the evidence you need and to contact Optus again. If not, then it is the hardware being used. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
ValentinB
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Ray,

It is extremely slow even on not oldish Apple Watch series 5 with cellular, so I am almost 100% sure it’s a failure on Optus’es hardware side in the district.

Is there any way to make them to fix it somehow? It’s very annoying for the last half a year to not being able to use FaceTime, Skype and WhatsApp calls when even audio type of call often struggles with an appropriate reception.

0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hard for say as we haven't pinpointed the exact issue.

Technical Support will get you to go through various troubleshooting to try and identify it and go from there.

0 Kudos
DrMM
New Contributor
New Contributor

I am experiencing same problem with terrible 4G Vol LTE. The reception in Soldiers Ave has been so bad that the only way to make and receive calls at home is to use WI-FI calling. As for mobile data it is so slow.

Optus really need to investigate and have these issues resolved ASAP or otherwise I like many others will have no choice then go to another network carrier.

0 Kudos
Tuong_YC

Good morning @DrMM, that's certainly not great to hear. I have just run some checks on your network status and can see that everything is running up to par for Soldiers Avenue Freshwater NSW 2096 with no planned maintenance or outage reported. 

The service towers are showing to be active and working conditions, this may suggest that your concern was an isolated matter. Have you tried Troubleshooting as of yet? Give those a shot and see how you go. 

Should you continue to have issues after this, I would also recommend having a chat to our Messenger teams whom will be able to look into your services and advise further. Our teams are available 24/7 via the Optus App

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.