cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Differential in speeds

Recently changed from NBN to 4G wireless for home office and while speeds vary throughout the day why is it that as I sit here at my (very new) laptop it shows a download speed on Speedtest by Ookla of 14mbps and yet if I hold my iphone in exactly the same position right next to the laptop and linked into the same wi-fi modem , it shows a download speed of 45+mbps using the same speedtest app?? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Differential in speeds

Hi @VIS-660, thanks for getting in touch with us.

The Home Wireless Broadband service uses our 4G network, however, it is designed to be used in the home, therefore, it’s data speeds are different to mobile speeds on the 4G network.  To improve improve your internet experience at home, pleae refer to this guide.

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You're paying $1+ for a Gb for mobile 4G speeds.
You're paying about 14c for a Gb for home 4G speeds.
Something will be different.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@VIS-660It's a complex answer as it depends on a bunch of things , such as:

1) What Modem & Phone you have w.r.t. what mobile category they support. See https://www.cablefree.net/wirelesstechnology/4glte/lte-ue-category-class-definitions/

2) As @petergdownload indicated Optus make more money on Mobiles and therefore will prioritize mobile data and/or over sell the modems in some areas that use certain bands and therefore the modem may see congestion at certain times of the day. I have congestion on B40 in the evenings due to people using 4G modems at night. (40/50Mbps V's 90/100 if the planets align).

3) The devices may be communicating with different towers or bands on the same tower. Different bands have different bandwidths and therefore different download/upload speeds. The carrier aggregation will only kick in on large downlaods, but I do not know if it will kick in withe Speedtest. 4) You can see what the modem is doing by using a third party app like the ones I mention in the following thread: https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/Is-it-possible-to-Telnet-into-either-the-B525-or-B818-that-O...

5) On the modem using one of the apps from 4)  you could try changing the modem settings to say B8 upload and B8 & B40 for download and give it a try (this is what I use). You can try other settings to optimize  your download speed, but I have found that you can optimize one (upload or download), but not both.

6) The tower may have a faulty band that the modem is connected to. By faulty I mean not working 100%. Check the optus network status page, but be aware that it shows what Optus has as the closest tower, not what your devices actually connect to and does NOT show the towers near you.

7) You will find that the devices will not normally hop/change bands until they loose connection, so to do proper comparison enable air plane mode on the phone then put the modem near the modem and turn air plane mode off. There are phone apps you can download that will give you info on what Optus tower etc the phone is connected to.

😎 On the phone you can download the "aus tower" app to show you the Towers near you and the bands they have on them.

Just take your time and be aware that what is optimal now, may not be optimal tonight or on the weekends or tomorrow.

Good luck.