Searching...
Highlighted

Difference between NBN and Cable

ChipMolly

Hi I'm asking for a friend who doesnt understand tech. Her address says she is eligible for Optus NBN. She's had cable Foxtel before in the old days. She's currently with iiNet but the speeds are glacial and she isnt getting much joy from their tech support. She is considering either Optus or Telstra. 

Is NBN cable delivered through the old preexisting cable rollout infrastructure? I thought cable was only rolled out around Sydney CBD and surrounding inner city suburbs then blocked by telstra in the late 1990s? 

Is NBN over cable faster than conventional NBN? Or is it the same one trick pony (ie delivered via crumbly copper cables).

regards

Chip

Re: Difference between NBN and Cable

petergdownload

Hi Chip. Lots of questions. Questions are good Smiley Happy I'll give you some thoughts;

1. First up, it isn't "Optus NBN". Its NBN. The NBN is taking over all connections to all households in Australia. If the NBN is now active at your address then you now have the ability to select ANY ISP deal. The ISP you choose then connects to your home via the NBN. So its important to know now that no matter who you choose (iiNet or Telsta), they'll all be using the exact same NBN cables to connect to your home. That said for other reasons The cheapest possible deal you can find still probably isn't all that good.

2. Their were 2 cable networks rolled out in the 1990's (Optus and Telstra). They haven't been extended for decades. NBNCo has bought all of these cable networks (called HFC) and has decided to completely junk Optus's but keep Telstra's - It passes a few million homes.

3. There are three main technologies being used for most households. What you get depends on where you live and you can't negotiate a different type. If your lucky you'll be one of the few to get fibre to the door (FTTP). Next best is the HFC network which is almost as good as fibre (for now). Third up is FTTN (Fibre to the Node) which is basically a souped up version of the ADSL2+ most of us have. Yes there is between 100m to 1.5km of copper from your house to the Node, but its better than the 5km of copper or so ADSL2+  goes over.

4. So all that is background. Which ever type your house can get its the only type you can get and all the ISPs will use it. Have you checked your address at the NBNCo address checker? tell us what type she has FTTN? HFC? "Optus NBN" is meaningless.

Get back to us and we can tell you a bit better what to expect. The good news is she should look forward to a very nice speed boost soon Smiley Happy

Regards

Peter Gillespie

ChipMolly

No need to get snarky. I'm quoting what the Optus website says (see pic)IMG_0047.PNG. Of course I know there's no such thing as NBN cable, that's why I'm asking. 

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

I don't know what you know or don't know. I think you misread me? I've gone to some effort to try answer your questions, fully and politely. Try re-reading my post. Assume its written with a positive intent and you should find it sounds upbeat with smileys and everything Smiley Happy

FWIW there is such a thing as NBN cable (See Pt 2). If you could use the link I provided, it will tell you what sort of NBN technology your friend's house is and we'll have a much better idea of what to expect.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Ok,

So a little confusing. The official NBNCo website says your friend's address is only in the planning stage (they haven't even begun to rollout anything.) But both Optus and Telstra and even iiNet are saying the address is NBN ready. That said I just did a chat session with Optus and they insist its NBN ready. Also said the NBN website says ready too. not sure what it says for you?

But no reason not to believe the ISPs when they say its NBN ready.  So regardless of whether its NBN or not, then its the HFC version. Speeds range from 5Mbps (just okish) to 100Mbps (very fast). Your friend should see a good speed boost (x10) on a standard package. She could stay with iiNet if she wanted to as iiNet will be able to use the HFC cable same as Telstra etc. and not be stuck with ADSL2+ they have now.

Suggest your friend not buy any speed packs to start with if they go with Optus. The $80 deal is pretty good (just has no free phone calls) If more speed is needed always easy to add later.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS probably off a PC for Easter so have a good one.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
24 Kudos
17 Kudos
14 Kudos
11 Kudos
7 Kudos