Searching...
Accepted Solution

Dear Optus, please tell us what's happening to your mobile network in Sydney

AndrewSc

I work in Sydney CBD, commuting from Eastern Suburbs. Reception has significantly degraded over the past few months. Checking the networks status, I see two-thirds of all towers are down for maintenance today. 

https://imgur.com/Rvo4orN
Yellow = scheduled maintenance

Green = good working order

Red = unplanned failure

There is a sea of Yellow in the CBD, and our apartment in Bondi Beach is not much better.  This screen diump was taken today 10:36am.

I'm sure the ombudsman will agree that we are entitled for a refund for the days when no service was provided. 

Re: Dear Optus, please tell us what's happening to your mobile network in Sydney

Paddylee

Towers wont all be offline at the same time, they schedule it over serveral days and spread the upgrades around.

Some of it can be software upgrades, others will be hardware installs where some of them cannot be done when the tower is running.

Being metro sydney its most likely upgrading a large set of towers to "4.5g" like they have done in their new cbd store to provide greater speeds for the cbd area.

Or would you rather them not upgrade?

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Re: Dear Optus, please tell us what's happening to your mobile network in Sydney

AndrewSc

If you can see this, then my temporary Vodafone SIM is working 

This could be unfair to Optus, so let's see how we go. I spent $20 on a Vodafone promotion, which gives me 5 weeks. Let's see how Optus works on 19-Dec.

Highlighted

AndrewSc

BTW, are you refering to the new George Street branch, opposite Strand Arcade ? Not far from the Apple Store.

I might pay them a visit, just to check the "new 4.5G" network. Will I be forced to buy a new device ?  Perhaps not formally forced, but the gradual withdrawal of services for previously marketed devices is a distinct possibility. After all, the 4G+ name is getting old now. It was already in use when I bought my Note 3 in Septermber 2014, and is still used now for current devices.

In between, we gained band 28 which wasn't present three years ago. Back then, the novelty was the TDD band 40, and it worked well for me for a couple of years. I vaguely heard that Optus is moving away from TDD, perhaps they've already done that.

Solution

Kartika

Sorry for the delay in response @AndrewSc. Yes we have identified a fault in few of the towers in Sydney CBD. While we’re working on it, there may be some service interruptions but we’ll try to keep this to a minimum! We apologies for any inconvenience. There is no ETA at the moment. If the issue still persist then raise it with Tech Support on 131344 (open 24x7) to investigate further. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

AndrewSc

thanks, Kartika. Optus is back !  I would have apppreciated some warning before Optus started work on 70% of their towers. But all is well if it ends well.
In the past week, I tried SIM cards from Vodafone, Kogan, Aldi/Telstra.  They are cheaper and work well.  But if Optus can keep the network quality as it is, then I might sign up for a new phone again. A phone from Optus will give me a better chance to move to VoLTE, which seesm the way to go.

>   Yes we have identified a fault in few of the towers in Sydney CB

Have you seen the outage map I attached ?  It showed a forest of Yellow, meaning scheduled maintenance. There were not too many faults (Red) on that map. Everything was planned, so let us be brave and recognise this fact.  In my eyes, honesty wins over any public-relations exercise, any time.

Dan_C

Hey @AndrrewSC,

It’s great to hear that service has since returned to normal. Kartik may have been a little vague with his initial reply back. Although a number of outages were reported the issue you'd advised us of does stem from planned maintenance. As @Paddylee has advised tower maintenance/upgrades do tend to take place at a gradual pace (to ensure that there's minimal interruption to our customers.) The last of our site upgrades are due to be completed by the 28th of this month. In the end our goal is to provide an all-round better Network experience for our customers. For a list of VoLTE compatible devices, click here.

I do understand that an SMS warning would be beneficial especially considering the reliance we have on our mobile devices. It's definitely something that we can feed back through to Networks. If you have any other questions for us, please let us know.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

AndrewSc

thanks Dan, 

During the weeks when we had no reception, I realised I will get a cheaper deal from Aldi Mobile. I'm moving away from Optus Mobile, after 4 or 5 years. I just purchased a new phone outright, to have all the new LTE Bands, especially the new 700Mhz. Will remain in good terms and might come back in the future.

Regards,

Andrew

Dan_C

Ah, that's not a problem @AndrewSc. Looking forward to your return! If any questions come up in the meantime, feel free to reach out to us here.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
18 Kudos
18 Kudos
10 Kudos
9 Kudos
7 Kudos