cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor KalemHufton
Occasional Contributor

Data speed

I have a brand new Galaxy S9. I have full 4G signal. Optus coverage map says GREAT for every possible coverage, inside and out. HOWEVER... My download speed are only ever about 1Mbps, but usually slower

Does any body understand how slow that is????? How can you even call that 4G.

The only reason I got this plan is because my Wi-Fi is slower than 4Mbps.(It's not Optus so don't worry)

I've spoken to many people on the chat and they all put me through the same process that DOES NOT WORK.

I don't want to pay $85 for dial up speeds.

Someone help me. Or I'm just gonna stop paying infill I get a service worth paying for.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Data speed

What do you mean download speeds?

Are you making the phone a hotspot for another device? How are you testing the speed?

Did you get a standard phone plan or a mobile broadband plan?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

It's just a mobile plan and I just mean the speed of my data, on my phone. I'm using Google's speed test.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

1 Mbps would indicate something is broken. Either on the phone or the mobile signal. Anyone else nearby you could see what Optus speed they are getting .An optus store you can pop into? Try temporarily swapping your Sim with another carrier Sim Telstra to see if speeds are back to full. Does the speed get good if you go for a drive to the next suburb over? What postcode are you? Have you checked the Optus outage website. 

Also check you phone settings. Do you see alittle 4G symbol next to the signal icon? In the settings try forcing the phone to use 3g or H even. See if speed improves. 

These are all tests btw. Not solutions. If the issue is just bad reception where you live then Optus will usually allow you contract to end. You'll still need to pay out the phone though.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Postcode is 4132, Marsden. My speeds are fine down the street. I may just have bad coverage, problem is, Optus website doesn't show bad coverage at my location, it shows 100% 4g, inside and out, so does that mean they're lying? 1mbps at mine and 90mbps just down the street is a huge difference. I'm pretty close to the main town, there's no large obstructions that could be blocking the signal.  There are no outages.

3G is no faster and I don't have another SIM to test.

I just think if Optus want happy customers they should check over their coverage again, because 1mbps is abnormally slow, even if it was bad coverage, it should not be that slow. 10mbps or even a little maybe but not 1, when just streets away it's 25-90.

I might just cancel the plan, and try Telstra. Unless Optus can somehow fix it.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

That does sound strange. No obstructions yet signal changes dramatically? What street are you in?

Optus aren't lying they just can't test reception in every house in the country. They have driven around and taken spot readings in many places and they can also construct likely reception based on the tower position and landscape. 

Perhaps try and app like this and take a walk / drive around your area. Try get an indication of where the bad zone is. Optus would no doubt want to try improve it if they know.

If you can't get a better signal in home then I suspect Optus would be fine stopping the contract on request.Maybe grab a $2 Telstra SIM and see if that signal is better.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors