cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Contributor Tom020
Contributor

Re: Data Overuse - Where Are My Usage Alerts???

It doesn't say anywhere in that link you provided that 48 hours in an acceptable standard from a consumer point of view, nor does it mean consumers should not be compensated if said delays cause fees to be incurred.

It's a pretty unfair situation for the consumer.

If you look at my usage breakdown, Yes I used about 40% of my data (1gb) in one day, which brought me over my limit. But I should have received atleast a 50% usage warning when I used 50% 2 days prior.

This isn't a situation where I just used my entire allowance all at once. I used part of it, then days later used the rest. Never got any warnings until it was all used.

0 Kudos
Contributor Astrayan
Contributor

They are legally obliged to tell you that their usage alert system doesn't work, rather than have a working alert system.

It sounds like you are on such a small plan, you should go prepaid, or to an Optus reseller, like Vaya, OVO, Spintel.

RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

I apologise that we haven't been able to provide the answer you're after. Mods on the forum can only really use the information provided, most of which is documented online. The full details about usage alerts are available here → Mobile Phone Shared Data Usage Alerts: FAQs.

Delays are caused by system processing. Improving this requires complete migration from the old system, to a new one, which as you can imagine is a lot of mobile numbers. This is something Optus have been working on for quite some time, but it is still going to take a while to be tested and rolled out completely.

Excess data disputes can be assessed on a case by case basis. I will message you privately to organise this.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

It's definitely an automatic system issue, I will try to get clarification on your original comment exactly.

Can I grab your account details to check the excess data issue please? I'll need the phone number, your full name and DOB. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Contributor Tom020
Contributor

Just a quick update here:
My usage for this current month, has been sitting at 512mb used out of 1gb used for the last 2 days. No usage alert for 50% usage  has been sent to my phone yet again.
At least it is showing on the optus app, but you see my dilemma here right?
I'm not getting the usage alerts optus is required to send me by contract.

0 Kudos
Contributor Astrayan
Contributor

512MB is spot on half 1GB, if a GB = 1024MB

I would push it a few more MB

0 Kudos
Contributor Tom020
Contributor

Yep its gone a bit above that now (520). still no text.
I guess I'll wait up to 48 hours and see when it comes (if it comes this time).

I highly doubt it will, because I haven't received it once, regardless of there being a number of days between when I went from 50% to 100%

0 Kudos
Contributor Astrayan
Contributor

Have you fiddled with the alerts in the settings section in your account? It seems to be configurable for small accounts, but is useless for large ones. I touched mine, and I get alerts at 1.5GB, for my 100GB account.

Accounts have crashed for the moment.

0 Kudos
Contributor Astrayan
Contributor

Make sure you get it right first time, because I think it blows up after that, and the staff don't know what you are talking about, so you have to kill the email and phone number.

0 Kudos
Contributor Tom020
Contributor

No, and the ACCC made rules forcing ISP's to make it so text alerts for 50%, 80% and 100% are NOT opt in, and are automatically part of the set-up from the start.

So no I have not fiddled with my settings.

It should be working as is.

0 Kudos