Searching...
Highlighted

Data Overuse - Where Are My Usage Alerts???

[ Edited ]
Tom020

Hello everyone,
Has anyone else experienced an issue where they aren't receiving usage alerts at 50%, or 80% usage, but rather just get a message when they have reached 100% and "exceeded your maximum allowance"?

3 times now, I've relied on the system to tell me when I am getting close to my maximum usage as it is supposed to be, but instead I just receive 2 messages at the same time saying along the lines of  "you've reached 100% of your usage allowance" and "you've exceeded your maximum allowance".

Optus by contract, and by law, is supposed to give us usage warnings BEFORE we exceed the limmit, so whats going on here??
Optus, I should not be obligated to pay your overuse charges, if you failed to meet your end of the contract!

Re: Data Overuse - Where Are My Usage Alerts???

Davelew

I know it is annoying if you go over your allowance but you do have some responsibility for checking your own data usage.

Download the My Optus app and it just takes a few seconds each day to check what you have used although this can be a few hours behind updating.  If you have reached 80% then take care if you don't want to be charged for extra data.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Tom020

The optus app lags behind the same as the Usage Alerts by text, because they use the same monitoring system.
Oh, and while you say it may lag behind a few hours, the reality is, it can actually lag behind up to 48 hours (according to the contracts we sign).
This does not make it acceptable, or fair.
Monitoring data usage based on your phone's data calculator, is also not viable, because as every isp will tell you, anything other than optus app may calculate data usage differently and therefore should not be relied on.
The problem then comes when you can't rely on optus either for that usage information...

Yes I accept responsibility for data usage, which is why i turn off auto updates etc, but I also expect that I should be able to make full use of optus's usage alerts so that I can accurately guage what my usage level is at!
Otherwise, it is just a guessing game as to how much data I am consuming at any given time.

Also, its exceedingly frustrating that I get a 1gb for $10 upgrade only a few days before the billing cycle ends... I should be able to chose weather I want to upgrade at this point, or just leave it 3 days till the billing cycle ends, OR make it roll over to the next bill at least.

Davelew

I am not disagreeing that you should get the alerts and hopefully a moderator will pick your post and investigate why you are not receiving them.

As to the lag on the app in my experience it have never gone over 4hrs and is usually less.   Plus you can see the time when it last updated the usage.

I agree with you, and all the many others, why we can't turn off the automatic $10 upgrade for each Gb.  It seems to me would be so simple for Optus to ask if you wanted an extra Gb.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Astrayan

I turned off my alerts, because the management system doesn't work. Originally they were set to alert me at 50% and 85%, but then I touched them, and the system gave me options of alerts at 200MB, 300MB, 500MB, 1GB, and 1.5GB.  This would be great, if I wasn't on a 100GB plan.

Hannah-L

Hi @Tom020, sometimes an alert may be missed because you've exceeded those percentages in a very short space of time, the alert event will instead default straight to the latest notification applicable. We're unable to turn off the automatic 1GB add-on option as it's a feature built into the plan. Usage alerts may be delayed by up to 48 hours. Please head to optus.com.au/alerts for more info.

Astrayan

>>it's a feature built into the plan

The kind of feature that nobody asked for, and everybody begs to be turned off, but Optus keeps providing.

[ Edited ]
Tom020

It's really sad that the moderators are simply deleting my responses instead of attempting to resolve the issue...
I joined optus thinking customer service would be more friendly than where I came from, but deleting my reply to the moderator without even explaining why?? Thats a whole new level of low

This issue is not resolved, and I will continue to raise the issue until I get a mature response.

[ Edited ]
Tom020

This issue is till not resloved, and I'm still waiting for someone to look into this.
The moderator gave a generic answer without even reading everything I said, and has not looked into my account at all.

Also, a "very short period of time" is what exactly? 48 hours?
I'm not going to pay for a fee that was incurred as a result of a delay in the usage updates that are supposed to help me keep track of my usage...
It's like a power company losing power for a week, and saying "nah we won't credit your account for the lost service". While this isn't a lost service, the fee/cost was incurred as a result of something out of my control, and entirely in control of optus.
I do watch my usage, and I have in the past usually been able to rely on usage updates to keep track of it, but this time I did not get those usage updates as I'm supposed to.

And no, I'm not just ranting here. I'm seeking a resolution, which is to credit back my account for the gb addon forced onto my account when my usage went over toward the end of the billing cycle (This one just gone)

Astrayan

Spend management alerts are allowed to be 48 hours late. Optus usage can be updated within 20 minutes on its prepaid resellers, but Optus has slowed the usage data down, to make you scared of going near the limit of your plan. I don't dare go beyond 93GB. This saves them 7GB.

http://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/Phones/Mobile/Content-and-services/new-alerts-to-stop-the-shock

I get back at them by downloading free stuff.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
26 Kudos
19 Kudos
11 Kudos
10 Kudos
8 Kudos