Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

DSL connection speed downgraded from Exetel to Optus

I signed up with Optus on the back of a bundled plan which I was up sold on to take my wife and my own mobile plus our ADSL to save around $20 a month.

After 3 months my home DSL which I held with Exetel for 5 years on a 6mb + link has now being 1.9mb through Optus. After consulting the Optus technical support team on multiple occasion they have advised that the isuse is with the 5km distance from the exchange.

As I've held the Exetel connection for so long and had no trouble I wondering if it's worth disconnecting from Optus and reconnecting my Exetel plan to improve my QoS. Surprisingly the technical support people in the Philiphines don't believe anything has been changed and believe this is the best service they can provided.

Anyone had similar problems with their Optus on a DSL connection? And found switching back a resolution to the problem?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Blog Author

Re: DSL connection speed downgraded from Exetel to Optus

Hi @Matt_T, thanks for reaching out.

I'm sorry to hear that it's been a bit of a disappointing start. As you've been made aware, ADSL speeds are largely determined by the length of copper running from the exchange to your premises. At a distance of 5KM, I really wouldn't expect speeds to exceed more than 1-2Mbps.

Feel free to shot through your details via PM. I just want to confirm which exchange we have you connected to. If there are multiple exchanges in the area, our DSLAMS might be located in an exchange further away from what Exetel was using. Exetel are a reseller. They could be using either our DSLAMS or Telstra's to connect you to their Network.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks Dan, I will send through my details.

It's imposible to do anything with this connection speed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Is anyone able to answer why the second technicians who tested my line from inside and from the MDF said there is a fault on the line which Telstra need to fix. Can anyone tell me anything about this?

I don’t really understand what is being done or when this will be resolved. If you can help in anyway it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos