cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

DNS timeout

I am sharing this information based on my personal experience and hopefully, may help others who have experienced the same. Also, an opportunity to remind Optus that they should have fixed this problem

I operate three website on a full subscription at WEEBLY.COM.

Until two weeks ago, I could open all three websites on ANY browser (safari, chrome, firefox) on any device at HOME on Optus  NBN IP address and DNS (PC, MAC, mobile phone, iPAD). Suddenly I was unable to do so. Each browser would simply time-out. The message that came up on the brwoser is

‘This site can’t be reached, Server IP address could not be found. DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN’

Fortunately for me, someone through the Community Forum at Weebly. com resolved the matter (Weebly customer support, like Optus, were unable to do so). This was his response:

'There is some kind of issue for people using Optus where custom domains are not resolving for them. We're not sure whether Optus blocking register.com (our Registrar who supplies the nameservers that domains registered through us use), or if it's some other kind of network issue between register.com and Optus. We've reached out to Register.com so they can look into the issue, and from what I saw on Optus's forums it looks like they're also looking into it.'

Anyway, I googled and the information I found was to change the Optus DNS by entering the following:

It now works perfectly. So if you have experienced same or similar, change your DNS to the above.

4 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: DNS timeout

The problem is, this isn't a solution for your customers/users. They won't know to change their DNS and so won't be able to access your sites. If it's an issue with the Optus DNS they really need to fix it

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

That's my point Sam. Optus need to fix - they still haven’t. But in the interim, if anY Weebly user is experiencing the same problem, they can change their DNS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have been having the same problem with a site I use, www.imvu.com.
For the last few days I have not been able to reach the site. Wouldn't even ping!

Optus NBN had automatically set my DNS servers as:

Primary DNS: 198.142.152.164
Secondary DNS: 198.142.152.165

I Googled "Optus DNS Servers"

I think the ones Google gave me were legacy, from ADSL days maybe,
but I switched to them for test purposes.

Primary DNS:211.29.132.12
Secondary DNS:198.142.0.51

Now I can reach that site!!

Sux when DNS servers lose their stuff.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Optus modem DNS server not responding

I experience the same DNS timeout issues. Is there a problem with the Optus DNS servers?
0 Kudos
Top Contributors