Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Phil01
New Contributor

Coverage map a lie

Everyone and I mean everyone knows you cannot get reception at walker flat  S.A

Yet Optus says they have outdoor coverage 

Heck s text service only would be great and it does occasionally happen on an overcast day - weird but true. 

Overdose it's total b.s. map 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Contributor BeefJerky
Contributor

Re: Coverage map a lie

The maps displaying 3G coverage are very inaccurate. They aren't updated anymore and haven't been corrected. It's best to see what the maps indicate 4G coverage to be. In any instance where 3G External Antenna is showing(yellow colour), you can definitely be sure that there is no coverage.

I checked out their base station sites and they seem to be in all the same locations that Telstra is so it must just be a black spot. Is Telstra the same in the area?

Optus activated a new site about 10-15 KMs North West at Black Hill in early June which should have improved coverage surrounding that area - doesn't look like its improved Walker Flat however.

It appears that NBN has a Fixed Wireless tower installed meaning that you should be able to connect to that if in coverage or their SkyMuster satellite service (Optus not available) meaning that Wi-Fi Calling (available with both Optus and Telstra) could be a great service you get connected to. I personally use Optus Wi-Fi Calling in a regional area with poor reception in my house and it works a treat.

But absolutely, their 3G coverage map is incredibly deceptive. It showed that I should have had coverage but until a new tower was installed, we had zero. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor Phil01
New Contributor

Walker flat has a Telstra tower , Telstra tower give full 4g coverage and so I messed up and need to change once contract is up.

The Optus map is very misleading and all the locals no it's a Telstra area.

It is what it is just that map is wrong and newbies like me got caught out

No biggy I just have to wait it out 

Nbn works lol so that plugged a communica hole kind of  anyway but I am in sales and can't even get a text.

Counting off contract days as walker flat is not even on Optus radar 

0 Kudos
New Contributor Phil01
New Contributor

Walker flat has a Tel  tower , Tel tower give full 4g coverage and so I messed up and need to change once contract is up.

The Optus map is very misleading and all the locals no it's a Telstra area.

It is what it is just that map is wrong and newbies like me got caught out

No biggy I just have to wait it out 

Nbn works lol so that plugged a communica hole kind of  anyway but I am in sales and can't even get a text.

Counting off contract days as walker flat is not even on Optus radar 

0 Kudos
Contributor BeefJerky
Contributor

Well if thats the case, you are well within your rights to be released from your contract. As the coverage map does indicate you can receive coverage, Optus can not hold you in the contract as they can't provide the service. The release should be fee-free as well. You should follow this up with Optus.