cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor TranSIG
New Contributor

Coverage Map says great 4G access, reality different

The Optus Coverage Map shows I am in and completely surrounded by 4G coverage (on the coast near Rockhampton central QLD), except the reality is I barely get 3G. Other mobiles on Telstra and Vodaphone receiving 4G. I’m on a iPhone 5s. Being a long time Optus user I’ve forgiven a lot, ignored reception black outs and never really been bothered with comparing. But coming up to upgrade time I don’t think I’ll be sticking around. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Coverage Map says great 4G access, reality different

The iPhone 5s misses out the critical 700Mhz - Band 28.

This is what most regional coverage uses, so without that band you will be seeing less coverage.

Selecting the iPhone 5s here will show you what is estimated to be available.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/network/coverage

Your phone is limiting you by not having the required 4g bands in order to connect.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
New Contributor TranSIG
New Contributor

Mmmm. yes 5s always selected, Map always showing great 4G coverage. Put a Vodafone sim in my phone and got two bars 4G. Idgi. 

0 Kudos
Moderator Wesley-J

Hey @TranSIG - thanks for reaching out and apologies for the delayed response. Very sorry to hear about the poor reception you've been receiving, if you can send through a private message with your address, I can check to see what mobile frequencies are available in your area and then we can determine what phones will work best.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors