Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Constantly losing reception

Hey all, I really hope someone can help me out.

I've been with Optus for over a year and have never had any issues up until 2 or so months ago.

Earlier this year I purchased a brand new Samsung s8+. It's been a brilliant phone. Around 2 months ago I noticed (somewhat overnight) that I would start to lose all reception on my phone. Both data and the ability take or receive calls/texts.

I've tried to many things including:

Having my SIM replaced,

Having a full technical examination of my phone done my Samsung. They concluded there were no issues with the hardware,

Making sure all software is updated,

Deleting rogue apps that may have caused any of these issues,

Starting my phone up in safe mode to rule out the possibility of apps being involved,

Generally speaking with Optus employees both in store and in live chats.

So far no one has been able to help me. 

I have absolutely no idea what's going on, and since Samsung has confirmed there is no issue with my device, so have no choice but to wonder if it's something to do with Optus.

Like I said, I've been with Optus for a while previous to this issue occurring, and I never had reception issues before.

I travel a decent distance between my home and work every weekday and can confirm that happens all over the city and suburbs.

The only thing I can do to retain service for at least a few minutes is restart my phone completely and do what I can, before it fully cuts out again and I need to repeat these steps. Turning my 4g and airplane mode on and off also does nothing. 

As I'm typing this now, I have no reception so will need to wait until I have Wi-Fi to successfully post this.

I really hope someone can help me out here. I'm tempted to get my SIM replaced a third time as the previous girl who replaced it, dropped it on the ground before putting it in my phone.

It's gotten to a point where I've accepted this as normal, but it's incredibly frustrating as I'm paying for a service that I'm practically not receiving. I can't even perform basic phone tasks like make or receive calls and texts.

Thanks in advance for your time!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Constantly losing reception

Hmm if it was happening at a handful of locations it could be tower maintenance or upgrades. The fact that it happens everywhere you go would suggest a problem with the phone, sim or setup. There is also the possibility that a fault in the hardware is causing the problem even though it's been given a clean bill of health. I think the only way to test the reception issue is to try your sim in another phone for the day. I assume you have done a full factory reset and you don't have a bizarre case or cover that may be interfering with it.?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hey there! Thanks for your response.

Yeah I've done a number of factory resets, and my phone case is incredibly standard.

I've tried my SIM in another phone but not for long enough to be able to properly test it. That's probably the one thing I haven't done yet.

I assume if my SIM works in another phone, that would mean something is wrong with my device? And if it doesn't work, that maybe I should get the SIM replaced again?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes precisely. If another phone works perfectly for the whole day then it all points back to your S8. Is the phone still under warranty?

Umm no harm in replacing the sim again however I would try the sim you have in another phone. Do you still have your old phone?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I should be able to find another phone to test it in tomorrow. My phone should still be under warranty, so hopefully I can just get a replacement if that's the case!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Well we could be barking up the wrong tree but I think the process of elimination is a good method. If the test phone works fine then we can be confident the sim is ok and the S8 may have been the problem after all. Smiley Happy 

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hey! I know this is from a while ago so im wondering if you have found the answer? I had the same issue on my S8+ (optus issued) and the same has now continued to my new s20 Ultra (bought from samsung). Starting to think this is an optus issue but I've got a new sim and its random places not just in certain areas. Wondering if you have found a solution?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi juzzaaa,

Have you tried all that comprehensive troubleshooting listed by the OP?

Have you tried a non Optus SIM in the phone?

Have you checked if there are any reported outages in the certain areas?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi there,

So I obviously have a new phone and I have receieved a new optus sim which still did not solve the issue. My next move is trying to see if there is anything wrong with the device, which I doubt as it is brand new but it may be a factory fault. Samsung do not have any reported issue both in s8+ or the s20 ultra that I have had so far. The only person with a similar issue that ive seen is the person that originally posted this thread. 

Once I get it back, I'll try a different sim but that means paying extra money as all my family is with optus! Perhaps it is time to change carriers 😞

Hopefully not!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Extra money shouldn't be a factor, it's just to see if the SIM works in the new phone to determine whether it is an issue with the phone.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos