Searching...

Chelsea Victoria Cell Tower

Bosi72

Hi Optus.

I am trying to improve my mobile broadband reception in my home but it looks like Optus tower cell in Chelsea, Victoria is either not working or not producing strong signal.

According to ACMA website:
https://web.acma.gov.au/rrl//site_search.site_lookup?pSITE_ID=302013
Optus cell tower is located in 318-321 Station St, Chelsea, Vic.

Clearly there are 3 towers visible with a number of antennas, however both my Optus ac800s mobile broadband dongle and Optus Samsung Note 9 are showing only 2 bars when parked no more than 20m from the tower.

I restarted both devices, but still no improvements.

Then I drove to the closest cell towers in neighbouring suburbs Bonbeach and Aspendale and both phone and dongle showed full 5 bars signal strength. So nothing wrong with devices.

Could you please advise if there are any issues with Chelsea cell tower, or is it normal behaviour ?

The parameters obtained from both phone and usb dongle when parked near Chelsea tower are:
TAC: 53360
ECI/CELL ID: 21291274
PCI: 443
RAC: 216
ENB: 83169

I am mostly interested in good reception for usb dongle which didn't change the frequency regardless of number of restarts, so the prefered channel/frequencies are:
Channel UL: 19725
Channel No: 1725 (Downlink: 1857.5MHz and Uplink: 1762.5MHz)

Btw, I am an amateur radio operator, so have some knowledge on the topic. Happy to do more testing if required.

Please advise
Cheers

Re: Chelsea Victoria Cell Tower

[ Edited ]
Dan_C

Hey @Bosi72, I've completed a couple of checks on my end.

There's a good resource up on the web → https://oztowers.com.au/Home/Query

Optus 

(3G 900MHz) 
(3G 2100MHz) 
(4G 700MHz)
(4G 1800MHz)
(4G 2300MHz)
(4G 2600MHz)

According to our coverage map, indoor and outdoor coverage is showing as "good" - "great"
I'm not sure if theses instructions are the same for the most current firmware version for the Note 9, but can you try the following?

1) Type in *#0011# into the area that you would normally use to punch in a telephone number
2) You should now be in service mode
3) The second line from the top displays the band you're connected to

BAND 1 = 2100Mhz.
BAND 3 = 1800Mhz.
BAND 8 = 900Mhz.
BAND 7 = 2600Mhz
BAND 20 = 800Mhz

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Bosi72

Hi Dan_C,

Thank you for the message. I am at work now, but will go for a drive later in the evening and make a video about signal strenght when close to the tower.

The information I used in my first post are extracted from Network Cell Info app, but I confirm the *#0011# works on Note 9.

Thanks & Cheers

Bosi72

Good morning All

I took 2 videos last night, one near Chelsea tower showing 2 bars, and another near Bonbeach tower showing 5 bars.

https://youtu.be/964Xfv0SpKw

https://youtu.be/hfxUcZqkC9M

Thanks

Bosi72

Hi Dan_C

Here is the screenshot from Note 9 after executing *#0011#

The screenshot was taken this morning, approx 30m from the tower, however this time with 1 bar.

I believe 3 transmitters, each running 240watts (5498watts EIRP) on 1.8575GHz should have more than 1 bar.

Resized_Screenshot_20180906-064647_Service_mode_RIL.jpeg

Thanks again for your response and help.

Aman_B

Hi @ Bosi72, thanks for the details. Now to report this and all your network issues please tap on My Optus App>More> here you can tick the Network performance  option. This will basically record your signal strength and forward it to networks team. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Bosi72

Thanks Aman_B

I assume you meant My Optus App->More->Support->Troubleshooting->Network coverage checker

I can't see Note 9 on the list nor Optus ac800s mobile broadband dongle, but thats probably fine.

Is there a way to raise the ticket with the Network team? I'd prefer sending link to this thread rather than explaining everything from scratch.

Thanks&Cheers

Shauna

Hey @Bosi72 - we can raise this with our case management team on our end to avoid you having to repeat yourself. 

Can you please confirm your account number, full name and DOB via private message? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
18 Kudos
18 Kudos
10 Kudos
9 Kudos
7 Kudos