cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Change to Sagemcom modem/router default settings causing loss of internet connection on some devices

I have a Sagemcom 3864V3OP modem/router and have a FTTN NBN service. I have attempted on many occasions to change some of the modem/routers default settings, namely the wifi SSID and password and disabling WPS. The problem is that after doing so I lose internet connection on 2 devices, one being a Windows laptop which is connected by ethernet cable to the modem/router and the other an Android device which will connect to the newly named wifi network but loses connection to the internet. The problem is fixed by resetting the modem/router, but how can I make these changes to the modem/router settings and still have internet connection on these 2 devices? I have a second Android device which can still connect to the internet after I change the modem/router settings. Also, I'm not sure if this is in any way related but seemingly unusual is that after switching the wifi signal off using the on/off button on the modem/router and seeing the wifi indication light go out, then 2 - 3 seconds later the light automatically turns back on again and the wifi signal is back on. This isn't the case 100% but it has happened this way on dozens of occasions so I'm wondering what may be possible causes of this behaviour?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Access to router settings

I have a Sagemcom 3864V3 OP modem/router which has accesss to settings via a web browser by visiting IP address 192.168.0.1. However, I recently discovered that I can also get the same settings access by entering my WAN IP address in the web browser. Is this to be expected or does it indicate something in the settings has been configured incorrectly for this to happen?
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Change to Sagemcom modem/router default settings causing loss of internet connection on some devices

Hi Android5,

I'm confident @Mkrtich will help you figure this out.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Change to Sagemcom modem/router default settings causing loss of internet connection on some dev

Hi @Android5 . You have a few unexpected peculiarities happening here and I am not sure if the modem may have technical issues or not at this stage. Just a few questions 

1. Have you disabled WPS in the Wireless Settings of both frequencies in their respective pages  and Saved the changes;  wl0 = 5Ghz and wl1 =2.4 Ghz.

2.  I have found with handling the modem, it is very easy to unknowingly turn OFF the Wi-Fi button on the rear panel (up from the power cord); sometimes when I have no Wi-Fi from a device, I have realised by looking at the unit, that I have hit it OFF as there is no Wi-Fi LED ON. A modem Restart seems to bring an Wi-Fi OFF status, but I am not sure if that is because of my fingers hitting the ON/OFF button on the rear during the Restart process. 

3. The modem may be set broadcast a common SSID to both frequencies - are you seeing two SSIDs - e.g. OPTUS_AABBCC (2.4Ghz) and OPTUS_AABBCC_5G (5 Ghz). If you wish to see two SSIDs and link your devices to preferred bands, this is done by Disabling two features within the very long wl0 and wl1 pages in Advanced - right at the bottom, BMTR(BFR) and BMR (BFE) and Save. This has assisted some people who could not link some of their 2.4Ghz devices to the modem - their devices may see the modem but the modem's transmission back to the device was compromised by the setting that provided a common SSID to give the 5Ghz a priority.

4. Have you made any changes to the DHCP Address range setting within the Modem? When you connect the Windows PC, can you look at the Adapter Properties to make sure it is Enabled and see if the Wi-Fi Adapter is OFF. Then do a Properties look up on the Ethernet Adaptor for its IP address, SubNet Mask, DNS Primary and Secondary Servers - the PC should be getting this information from the Optus Modem showing its Gateway Address as 192.168.0.1. 

5. Can you disconnect the PC from the modem, turn PC OFF, wait 60 seconds, Restart the Modem, reconnect LAN cable to modem and then turn on the PC. The Modem should allocate your PC a fresh IP address. Validate this is so by looking at the Adapter Properties. If you can't access the Internet from the PC, can you try another Browser?

Is failure to connect to the Internet on the same site or all traffic? If on all traffic, can you alter the DNS Server entries in the Windows PC Adapter to Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 to see if the PC connects?

6. Android, - Disconnect or Forget Wi-Fi Network, then  try a Soft Restart in case that clears out any issues with connectivity and then Reconnect with you new Wi-Fi preferred SSID.  

7. I suspect you would not be able to directly connect to your WAN address as it is outside the range of 192.168.0.1 and you may have been directed back inside to the admin screens. Another cause could be that your Web Browser Data Cache may have a corrupted entry - sometimes Clearing Out Data Cache and History from the Browser gives it a fresh start and fixes the return to admin screens.  conditions.

Hope this may be of assistance and let us know what you have discovered. Optus should also be able to remotely access the modem to see if any technical issues that arise within it require replacement of the modem. 

Top Contributors