cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Call over Wi-Fi (RCS) doesn't appear to be working

Hi All,

Most of our suburb has a strong enough 4G signal with Optus, but our home is in a bit of a dead zone. I literally have to walk outside the front or back of the house in order to make or receive calls, and even then, the call quality/connectivity can be a bit choppy.

So last month (Oct 2020) I was really pleased to see that Google "is rolling out RCS for Messages Australia-wide, regardless of carrier".

I could be wrong (am I?) but I think RCS is what facilitates *calling* over wi-fi, too?

I've just a got a new Google Pixel 5 phone, and was delighted to see an option to enabled "Call over Wi-Fi" - see screenshot below:

call over wi-fi.png

BUT... it doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever in my situation. I *still* cannot reliably make or receive phone calls (or text messages, for that matter) inside my home.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Ross

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Call over Wi-Fi (RCS) doesn't appear to be working

Rcs is not related to wifi calling.

Rcs is for messaging
WiFi Calling is for voice calls

If you have an Optus postpaid service you should be able to have Volte turned on and then wifi calling will operate.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @itomic

As @Paddylee mentioned, they are 2 separate features. The WiFi Calling feature will use a fixed WiFi connection to allow you to make/receive calls and texts when the mobile network is low. 

I suggest having a read through our WiFi Calling Support page to get some more information on the WiFi Calling feature itself, in case this can be of use when at home. 

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Call over Wi-Fi (RCS) doesn't appear to be working

OK, thanks for clearing that up about RCS.

Reading the FAQs page

My Pixel 5 is NOT yet listed as compatible for WiFi Calling, but the Pixel 3 and 3XL are. Logically I'd assume that all Pixel phones after the 3 and 3XL models would also be supported?

My Pixel 5 was purchased directly from the Google, and not from Optus. I see in the FAQs that WiFi Calling is not available on Android devices that are not purchased from Optus. Really? Is this still true?

I also see that I have to Request that VoLTE (ie 4G Voice Calls) and WiFi Calling is applied to your service. - but will that even be available if I didn't buy from Optus? I'll guess I'll ask and see what happens.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

The device page is very old and out of date (2 years and counting I guess).

Best to contact Optus via the messaging in Optus app - request for volte to be a enabled.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Top Contributors