Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Huddo3087
Occasional Contributor

Cable Broadband - PSN Servers (Garbage Today)

Trying to use PS3 & PS4 this arvo.  The lag is that bad the games are unplayable/  I have cable for goodness sake. Yes I have rebooted modem etc etc.  Real annoying.

Anyone eklse having similar issues ?   (Greensborough Victoria AU)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Cable Broadband - PSN Servers (Garbage Today)

Have you run a trace route to help determine where the problem is? 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

No I haven't SamSam.  How do I ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony-Knowledge/How-to-run-a-traceroute-and-why/ta-p/...

Google Sony PSN IP to find the right IP address to ping. This will help understand why you're having problems

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

thanks SamSam.  I will check it out.

I did a speedtest and I'm getting 90's (MBPS) consistently so it's obviously PSN.

Could be school holidays too.  Many watching netflix/ gaming etc.

I'm not used to this with Cable.  . . 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

It could very well be PSN (and honestly it'd probably be easier to get fixed if it was) but the traceroute will help understand.

Basically what it's going to do is trace your connection to the PSN servers and back again, including the time it takes to come back. Your connection "hops" from one point to another along Optus' network and then international networks so if 1 "hop" takes significantly longer to transfer then you're starting to get to the cause of the problem. 

Either way, good luck with it. I haven't run into problems playing COD or Fortnite recently (NBN connection) so hopefully yours comes good! 

Top Contributors