Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Bandwidth from mobile towers.

So bit of a technical question.
Some background first.
I live in the country with no chance of cable internet so I am currently using 4G mobile broadband with my Netgear AC800s.
I have also installed a top of the line antenna on my roof to boost my signal and have cables directly to my modem.
I'm quite happy with my speeds at the moment.  Was getting up to 30 down and 7 up but upgraded antenna which boosted the down to 50.  Upload didnt seem to change much unfortunately.

Q.
What I'm more interested in is the bandwidth from the tower.  It can be upwards of 9000kbps which is great but then sometimes it can drop to less than 900kbps.  Id be happy if it sat anywhere in the middle.
Does anyone know how bandwidth from the tower works and what affects it?
Im not sure I can blame network traffic for drops because I have measured it at a lot of different times and there does not seem to be a pattern eg school holidays, weekends, evenings etc.
Currently the bandwidth to my local tower is low but I believe that is due to maintenance.  It already has 4G but supposedly they are upgrading the 4G.  Im not sure what that involves or if I will notice any difference when they finish.
Sorry for the long speil!  thanks for any input!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Bandwidth from mobile towers.

Hi there,

To keep it fairly short....

Like any connection, the more hanging off the tower the less there is to share around.

As an example if I pick one of the 4G Optus towers near me I’ll find;

4G 763MHz @ 4x4 mimo 198 Mbps

4G 1857MHz @ 4x4 mimo 297 Mbps

4G 2342 MHz @ 4x4 mimo 1 Gbps

4G 2680 MHz @ 4x4 mimo 396 Mbps

As you can see the capable speed and frequency differs and of course that’s just the connection speed at the tower and doesn’t take in the consideration of real world connections, obstructions, faults etc.

Now have I explained anything, I don’t know but I guess all I’m saying is, nothing is absolute when it come to wireless connections.

Cheers Dave

Note..This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information. 😉
I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

hmmm that's interesting Dave, cheers.

Yea not sure it's answered my question but how are you finding that information on the tower?
I wouldn't mind seeing what is on mine now and then what's on it after the maintenance.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I guess what I’m also trying to say there is no way to lock in an actual speed over the mobile network as there’s just to many factors to consider.

I use a cool little Android app called Aus Phone Towers also for some news, stuff relating to the Aussie mobile network (if you like reading) and a simular tool via there search button pop over to Oztowers.com.au

Cheers Dave

Note..This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information. 😉
I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Cheers
Ill check out that App.
Yes the Oztowers site is handy, I use it quite often although Im not sure if all the tower info is up to date.  I get conflicting reports from Optus call centres sometimes about tech support and towers.  Sometimes I think they must be really limited in what they can actually help with.

Thanks

0 Kudos