cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor 5GEE
New Contributor

5G

how long does it take for optus to contact a potential customer interested in 5G for the home in Canberra Australia in April 2019?

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: 5G

Are you in one of these suburbs?

Barton

Campbell

Dickson

Franklin

Harrison

Mitchell

Russell

Wanniassa

Weetangera

My read of the Optus 5G rollout is that its extremely limited at the moment. Essentially 'subscribers' are gunea pigs for testing out the technology (Optus really should be paying them IMO). Its likely Optus already have the numbers they need for 5G testing and you'll need to wait until they release the next batch of 1250 locations later this year and start advertising plans properly again.

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor Bowo
Occasional Contributor

I'm in one of those suburbs listed and registered on day one of the announcement and have not one peep from Optus. I am about to give up and switch to a rival suppliers NBN plan as I am sick of paying excessive data rates for my exceeding my 4G download whilst I hold on desperately for the 5G thing to be finalised. Extremely poor of Optus to not provide any more communication on this rollout so people can make approriate personal decisions some of which may lock them in for years. I have searched Yescrowd and there is nothing since January that constitutes official updates from Optus. 

They have to lift their game....

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Bowo 

Optus aren't alone in heavily over spruiking the immanence of 5G. Cynically they mostly really wanted to say they offered "plans" "first" in Australia, but what has eventuated is an extremely small number of 5G trial homes have been selected. Its unclear if any are still operational or they are essentially extended field tests. Does surprise me Optus didn't at least send out a bulk email thanking volunteers and saying they will be the first in line once the 5G rollout expands.

FWIW I would not be making any decisions at the moment about mobile broadband based on possible 5G. Oz Telcos took a hit with the Hawaei ban and have had to rejig their timetable (and capability) because the equipment they thought they'd use is no longer an option. 

Peter Gillespie

PS Follow posts are only seen by people who posted in the post originally. If you'd like to provide your feedback I'd recommend creating a new thread and placing it there.

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

Yes Peter, my issue is very much the lack of communication. I have held out for five months on getting NBN because of this announcement and have been using my phone as a hotspot whilst patiently waiting. It would be okay if I wasn't hit with $10/Gb when going over my data allowance. The speed is not the issue. In the last country I lived in I could get 50Gb for A$15. Australian mobile data rates are stupidly expensive. 

As I said its the lack of communication from Optus about this which is really the issue, they are heading towards losing me to a rival Telco's NBN plan if nothing is forthcoming in the very near future. Most disappointing.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Any news on the 5G Broadband rollout? It's less than a month away supposedly

I posted this in reply to another post and have been told that it will not be seen unless starting as a new post so here goes:

I'm in one of those suburbs listed by Optus as a 5G rollout site back in January and registered on day one of the announcement. Since then there has not been one peep from Optus. I am about to give up and switch to a rival Telco's NBN plan as I am sick of paying excessive data rates for exceeding my 4G download limit I have now (mobile data prices in Australia is a whole other issue) whilst I hold on desperately for the 5G thing to progress or even for some news. 5G is supposedly coming in June according to the January statement, thats less than a month away. Its extremely poor of Optus to not provide any more communication on this rollout so people can make approriate personal decisions on high speed internet (NBN, 5G, other alternatives), some of which may lock them in contracts for years. I have searched Yescrowd and there is nothing since January that constitutes official updates from Optus on 5G. I understand the Huwaei issue but that has been flagged for years in Australia (I am an insider on that issue) so I will not accept it as an excuse given Optus announced their much hyped 5G for my suburb after the ban. 

They have to lift their game or very quickly or lose a longtime customer.....

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I overlooked you actually had NBN options (FTTN? HFC?) 

I would definitely be taking those up right now (I can't see much 5G being available before 2020 rolls around now).

There's plenty of telcos offering month to month NBN plans so you can hop on and hop off as things change. 

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

So any news on the 5G rollout?

I posted this in reply to another post and have been told that it will not be seen unless starting as a new post so here goes:

I'm in one of those suburbs listed by Optus as a 5G rollout site back in January and registered on day one of the announcement. Since then there has not been one peep from Optus. I am about to give up and switch to a rival Telco's NBN plan as I am sick of paying excessive data rates for exceeding my 4G download limit I have now (mobile data prices in Australia is a whole other issue) whilst I hold on desperately for the 5G thing to progress or even for some news. 5G is supposedly coming in June according to the January statement, thats less than a month away. Its extremely poor of Optus to not provide any more communication on this rollout so people can make approriate personal decisions on high speed internet (NBN, 5G, other alternatives), some of which may lock them in contracts for years. I have searched Yescrowd and there is nothing since January that constitutes official updates from Optus on 5G. I understand the Huwaei issue but that has been flagged for years in Australia (I am an insider on that issue) so I will not accept it as an excuse given Optus announced their much hyped 5G for my suburb after the ban. 

They have to lift their game or very quickly or lose a longtime customer.....

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I am most certainly looking at alternatives, (I have NBN FTTP and a private HFC VDSL as alternatives at my place so not short of options), but was really keen to get onboard with 5G. Shame is I will probably take up one of the alternatives, simply because Optus has not had the courtesy to communicate with those who expressed interest. Of course none a truely month to month as modem charges etc lock you in to whatever plan you choose.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

No probs,

I see you're more looking to express disappointment than needing answers. My personal read of the 5G phenomena is that it is an over hyped mess that is going to take some time and expense to sort out yet. Meanwhile 4G solutions are improving (indeed some Telcos are badging better 4G as '5G' already) and could possibly get much better speeds and prices now with 4GX etc.

Lucky you for FTTP. Some Telcos are offering 250Mbps plans on FTTP but they're not cheap. 

Good luck in your quest

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors