Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

4g Throttled in rural areas?

I have a 4g connection via Huawei B525s-65a connected with twin parabolic mimo antennas providing 5 bars of signal installed September 2019. I also have a Celfi connected via a yagi that again provides 5 bars of signal installed July 2019. CA mode is enabled but will not activate.

Regardless of which connection I use for 4g I am getting 7M down and 22 up, and its always been like this regardless of time of day since the devices were installed.

Why would my upload be so much faster than the download? Is the download being throttled in my area? Is there any way of the download speed being increased in my area?

PCI: 58
CELL_ID: 19381042
RSRQ: -17dB
RSRP: -80dBm
RSSI: >=-51dBm
SINR: -6dB
CA Mode: deactivated
Band: 28
PLMN: 50502
Upload bandwidth: 10 MHz
Download bandwidth: 10 MHz
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: 4g Throttled in rural areas?

Because it looks like you only are connecting to band 28 - 700Mhz and that band does not have huge capacity but largest amount of coverage.

Celfi only boosts a single band so ca wont activate as ca mode is for combining capacity of multiple 4g bands at once.

Is no capping of speed, you get what is available, upload channel is used less so most likely to be faster in regional areas.

I know that celfi untits have selectable bands, do you know if you can get 4g 1800Mhz by chance? That band has more capacity then 700Mhz.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately the Huawei router only has 4g and 4g - 2300Mhz. The 2300Mhz band gives 1-2 bars and still tops out at 7M down but only 0.3M up. 

The celfi has decided to take itself offline for an update. Its taken an hour so far....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Optus only has 2300Mhz in metro areas, nbn has it in all other areas (and you wont be able to connect to that).
2300Mhz doesn't go too far either, and I would think that areas that have Optus 2300Mhz would be ones where you wont need a celfi (unless your in some metal/concrete reinforced basement.

You change the band on the celfi not the router, the cel fi will only boost a single band.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks but the router doesn't use the celfi. The router has an external mimo parabolic antenna setup and connects direct to the tower. The celfi boosts only the mobile phones in the house via an external yagi and an internal antenna panel. I'll try band 3 on the celfi after the upgrade has finished and see if the phones have a better result.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Band 3 on the celfi  - 3 bars boost to 9.

6M down 8M up

Band 8 on the celfi - 5 bars boost to 9

1.2M down 0.4M up (not surprising as this is WCDMA

So it looks like regardless of band the best I can get is 7M regardless of celfi boost or direct connect.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Band 8 is also very small if used for 4g, band 3 would be the best - depending on if you get coverage or not and if that model of cell fi has support.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I recommend you check your modems APN settings, confirm with Optus which one you should use and if there is an alternative for you to try.

I only just switched to Optus 4G (from Optus 3G) and am using the B818 modem. I had 1 or 2 bursts but 99% of it was 3Mb/s down, 1-11Mb up. Knew by the stable slow performance, it was likely a network end (or throttling) issue.

Got online to Optus chat support and got details to manually set a different APN and now I am seeing the speeds I should be.  26-36Mb/s down, 7-8Mb/s up (Sunday 10:30PM).

To put it into perspective, my tower details are below and I am 8kms as crow flies, no line of sight to the tower with a weaker Band 28, 700Mhz frequency to what you posted :).

PCI:58
CELL_ID:19392xxx
RSRQ:-10.0dB
RSRP:-87dBm
RSSI:-59dBm
SINR:8dB
Upload bandwidth:10MHz
Download bandwidth:10MHz
band:28
CA Mode:deactivated

Good luck 🙂

Regards, The I.T. Geek of 21 years 😉

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion, it was certainly worth a try. It seems I am already on the fastest APN, all of the others come out at around 2.5M 😞

Its really odd that I have such a good signal compared to yours but my speed is so slow. Clearly the link is capable of running faster since the uploads are much faster than the downloads. Is it worth a fault call to optus do you think?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Did they offered you the APN of 'ConnectLTE'. Seems to be dedicated to LTE traffic (4G) because when my 4G drops, I get nothing as opposed to switching back to 3G. If not, I can post my settings here for you to try - again may not work at all or not improve speeds.

Knowing Optus will want to cover all options, you should try to troubleshoot with a different Optus service on a mobile device first.  That will help rule out the basic question of reception - remembering the phone has to support the Band 28 - 700mhz frequency (Google the model + 'supported frequencies' usually tells you). 

Good idea to run out the extension cord in good weather with your modem. it can make a huge difference and can identify noise issues. to try and find a sewwt spot first before you unroll that 30M extension lead, try apps like 'Cellmapper' on android to tell you the db levels (remembering higher is worse).  

Second thing to try (and rather annoying) is do the test between 2AM and 5AM Sun-Thurs as these are your lowest usage times with near zero network congestion. Rules out the common excuse of too many people streaming / hogging bandwidth. 

See how you go there first before you log it through as knowing how it behaves with these things helps Optus and you narrow down possible issues.

0 Kudos