cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Mercurial
Occasional Contributor

4G+ indoor speeds / Need a decent internet connection

Hi all,

I'm moving home and am currently getting 11/1 Mbps Up/Down on ADSL2+ (not particularly happy with the speed) at my current residence. I'm heavily dependent on a good internet connection for work purposes but the new home is >4.0Km away from DSLAM so ADSL speeds will be horrible. Hence I was looking to sign up for the Optus Home Wireless broadband (4G Plus) connection and trying to understand what sort of speeds should I be expecting indoors.

From what I've gathered so far from my research/googling:

1. My normal Optus Mobile (4G) on my Samsung gets 45/3 Mbps Up/Down. (Pretty Good)

2. The Home Wireless Broadband product (4G Plus) itself is limited to 12/1 Mbps Up/Down.

3. The Optus Coverage Map for 2300 MHz (4G Plus) shows the area is covered and I should expect 'Good' speeds indoor.

4. My new residence is around 1.2 Km (Line of Sight) from the Optus 2300 MHz Tower.

Has anyone tried this product before indoors? What really is 'Good' speed? If the product is already limited to 12/1 Mbps, how bad would be the indoor speed? Can getting an external antenna with E5186 help get closer to the 12/1 Mbps speeds?

What other options do I have to get decent speed internet (10/1 Mbps at least)? ADSL is out already.

Also, if I get the Huawei E5186 device with the plan, can a standard Optus 4G SIM be inserted to get non-throttled speeds?

Help! 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Crowd Champion caaf
Crowd Champion

Re: 4G+ indoor speeds / Need a decent internet connection

With all the questions aside Optus currently have an incredible 100GB at $70 per month (New online only for 24 Months). At least it won't be throttled just pay $10 per GB over and above the plan.

Like these beast Mobile broadband e5186 router

Cheers Dave

Note..This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information. Smiley Wink
I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Moderator Shauna

Hi @Mercurial - We really can't guarantee what your actual speeds would be until there is a connection in place at your address as there are a number of factors that can contribute to speed such as congestion, location, local conditions, hardware, software and general internet traffic. Generally speaking, providing you're at an address where there is 2300 MHz coverage, you can receive up to 12Mbps and up to 5Mbps in other areas.

I'd be happy to run a serviceability check on your new address if you wish, this will be able to provide us with what type of technology you're eligible for. We can also double check your coverage to confirm what you have mentioned above. Would you be able to confirm your address via a private message for us please? 

Also, my understanding is you won't experience data throttling. As @caaf mentioned above, you will instead be charged extra per GB you use until the next bill cycle. I hope this helps! 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

My Huawei E5186 can support 25Mbit/s download and 5Mbit/s upload at beginning, after i get an outdoor LTE antenna for it, i can get double of the prevous speed now. I suppose it's enough now. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response everyone.

I tested my Optus 4G connection from my mobile at my place and the speed I'm getting are pretty bad - around 0.5-1.5 Mbps Up, and 0.2 Mbps Down.

I went in to my local telstra store and explained the situation and they gave me a testing device for 1 week with 10 GB data on their 4GX network to test the speeds. Turns out I'm getting 25 Mbps / 5 Mbps with Telstra which is pretty good.

Does Optus offer anything similar? I just don't want to sign up and bring an Optus 4GPlus device that doesn't give me the needed performance. I've already tested the Optus 4G mobile and its not giving me I need.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion caaf
Crowd Champion

Maybe go for a wifi prepaid device? $59 delivered? I can't tell you what the local Optus store may do to help out.. I assume you paid for atleast the data from Telstra? Again it could be a local store thing?

Cheers Dave

Note..This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information. Smiley Wink
I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Nop didn't have to pay a single $ for 1-week 10GB trial! I wish Optus would do that as well!

The coverage maps are not reliable as they say 'Good' coverage for both 4G and 4G PLUS networks. My Optus 4G phone is giving <1 Mbps speed which isn't good by any standard Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion caaf
Crowd Champion

Wow! That would be a right treat.. As I said I recon it's solely the local Telstra shop (franchise) as I've never heard of such a good deal.

Would it to much to ask the postcode at or near you, it's more out of interest on frequency population between telcos.

Cheers Dave

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Not a problem. Postcode is 2770 NSW Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion caaf
Crowd Champion

Telstra have more than double the amount of towers in the area so it's no wonder you have great speeds. Still and as I've said previously, maybe  grab a wireless dongle.

If you're really looking for the bargain connection, a good external antenna (maybe just a omni directional with a bit of height) could be what your looking for. Pity I'm not more local as I would be happy to pop around with a small variety of modems ect.

Cheers Dave

0 Kudos
Top Contributors