Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

4G Broadband Connectivity Issues St Andrews Victoria.

Hi,

I have been an Optus 4g Wireless BB subscriber for the last 6 months. I have the b525 modem on the 500gb plan. The last 2 weeks have been an internet nightmare. Sunday the 01/03 the internet light went red and signal bar was not lit on the modem. I was able to get a signal back after restarting the modem multiple times. From then on however i have been unable to maintain a connection for more than a an hour at a time, sometimes minutes, the modem light will turn red and a few seconds later the signal bar will drop to zero. 

The modem has always shown a good signal of 4-5 bars when working on band 28. Its a mystery to me why the light would turn red and the signal would suddenly completely disappear. I have had multiple chats with online support who always get myself to reset the modem, the button is almost worn out at this point. The reset always works for a little while and they assure me its fixed the issue, they have given me different apn's to try. they have also told me that i am missing band 40 which is why i am getting repeatedly disconnected. I don't understand why this would suddenly start happening after 6 months of solid connection on band 28, and it is even more confusing when the modem itself has the option in network settings to avoid band 40 all together.

I have been escalated to level 2 tech support, and i did receive a phone call back from them, they asked if the internet was working and i responded that it was, i was left with a case number via sms and told to respond "help" to this number if i had anymore issues, i responded 20 minutes later when it dropped out again and i am yet to receive a call back. I have requested a new modem multiple times and this has been rejected also.

Other steps i have taken include, getting a replacement sim card. i have installed an external antenna which improved the signal to 5 bars consistently. Here are some modem stats below.

Working Connection:

Device name: B525s-65a
IMEI: ####
IMSI : ####
 Unknown
Hardware version: WL2B520M
Software version: 11.189.63.00.74
Web UI version: 21.100.44.00.03
LAN MAC address: 68:A0:3E:CE:A5:80
WAN IP address: ####
PCI: 57
CELL_ID: 21155633
RSRQ: -9dB
RSRP: -93dBm
RSSI: -67dBm
SINR: 17dB
CA Mode: activated
Band: 28
PLMN: 50502
Upload bandwidth: 10 MHz
Download bandwidth: 10 MHz

Not Working: (modem landing page says 3G/Disconnected), and note the connection to different tower.

IMEI: #####
IMSI : #####
My number: Unknown
WAN IP address: Unknown
CELL_ID: 151152044
RSSI: -92dBm
RSCP: -99dBm
ECIO: -7dB

When the connection works its great, i understand its not the fastest being on band 28 but it is consistent and reliable up until this past fortnight.  

I should also not that my mobile phone has been dropping back to 3G/H+ for the last few weeks also at the same time as my modem dropping out,  Online support have reported no issues with the tower however.

If anyone can advise how i should go forward to get reliable 4g back that would be great.

Thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: 4G Broadband Connectivity Issues St Andrews Victoria.

I am wondering if you need a HLR (High Level Rebuild) on your account. 
I am on a 4G Internet account in a good reception area and out of nowhere my speeds went to garbage. I would reset or reboot the modem it would be okay then die to like being on Dial up.

After a couple of days I called support in the early evening just before I left work and was lucky to get a very good support guy.
I explained to him what was happening and what steps I had taken reboots and resets to factory defaults.
The support guy I assumed looked at my logs and the amount of reboots.
He then told me he was going to disconnect me from the tower and about 20 minutes later he told me it was all done. He told me to reboot the modem when I got home and it has been fine since.
I asked the support guy for reference in case the issue was not fixed was the name of the procedure he had just done was a High Level Rebuild on my account and he confirmed it was.

I am not an Optus employee. If a reply helps please give a Kudos and when an issue is solved please mark as solved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi markb,

What is your case number? Just want to ensure this is still being worked on/followed up by the tech support team.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Case number is 22482010, I received a phone call last night from support who finally monitored the network in my area and they found a fault. It has been passed on to the network engineers for resolution.

Thanks for checking but it should hopefully all be taken care of in the next 48 hours.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

That's promising then, keep us posted if that timeframe is exceeded.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Case Number 22482010

Hi there,

This is becoming a real issue now as my wife has been forced to work remotely due to Covid and we still don't have usable internet.

If anyone could follow up on the status of this that would be great. We are at week 4 with a very intermittent connection, I haven't any contact with Optus since Sunday evening. I can get a few hundred megabytes of data at a time before the signal drops and i am shown a red light on the modem. i can download at around 6MB/s, which is quite quick, but after a while the speed drops to zero and i go from 5 bars of signal to disconnected. Am i getting kicked off band 28?

I'm now looking at Optus for a full months credit on out account.

working modem stats below: if anyone can see an issue with the connection let me know.

IMEI:  
IMSI :  
My number: Unknown
WAN IP address: 10.67.67.63
PCI: 57
CELL_ID: 21155633
RSRQ: -7dB
RSRP: -93dBm
RSSI: -69dBm
SINR: 18dB
CA Mode: deactivated
Band: 28
Upload bandwidth: 10 MHz
Download bandwidth: 10 MHz

Thanks for looking.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi Mark,

I've sent a follow up request for someone to get in touch, guessing it will be early next week.

I can see in the ticket you've previously requested compensation and they noted they will look at that once the issue is resolved. It's not something we can provide here as we don't have access to customer accounts.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for checking,
I understand you can't offer compensation here, I'll handle that with call support.
Cheers.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I got a response all of our frontline staff including technical support are under the pump at the moment due to COVID-19, and they will be in touch as soon as they can. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So another week has gone by and there is still no service for optus customers out here.
I have not had a call back from anyone.

I sat on the phone for over an hour on Tuesday trying to get an update on the situation, I was told I would get a call back, this has not happened.

Please let me repeat, there is no data service out here for optus customers. Anyone who needs to work from home is unable to do so. It needs to be fixed urgently. It has been an issue since the 01/03.

I would please like an ETA on when it will be fixed. This is getting silly now.

0 Kudos