cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
RetiredModerator Ge0ff
RetiredModerator

Re: 2G Network Update

Hi @AndrewSc, 2G is on a low frequency running on the 900mhz spectrum meaning it has stronger penetration into buildings. That being said, we are running 700mhz on our 4G network which is currently only being used for data however it is only a matter of time before voice over LTE is introduced allowing customers to be able to make calls over 4G 🙂

0 Kudos
Contributor AndrewSc
Contributor

thanks, I heard about the wavelength issue. It is said that lower frequencies move better around the corners ( I recall the physics lesson on Huygens principle of resonance). Whether that applies to the flat surfaces of large metalised windows, is another matter. We shall see. 

At any rate, freeing up the 2G frequencies should give more possibilities for 4G.

My current Note 3 which I got from Optus in September 2014 is unlikely to have the 700Mhz band. From what I know, the 4G+ designator is about adding a higher frequency (2300? or 2600?) on FDD.  By the time my contract expires, the 700Mhz may become more widespread, so the next Optus phone may well support it.

Do the 4G+ phones marketed today by Optus support 700Mhz  for LTE ?  

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Ge0ff
RetiredModerator

@AndrewSc, Most of the more common handsets such as Apple iPhone 5s onwards and the Samsung's Note's and Galaxy's support 700mhz - Over the last few months the 4G 700mhz has been our biggest push in upgrading our network so it is safe to say you will be able to receive 700mhz once the roll out is completed. I can also see that some towers in the CBD have already been upgraded with the 700mhz.

I am unsure when voice over LTE will be available but when it is we'll be sure to inform the community 🙂 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor feyone
Occasional Contributor

It would have been SO much better (and even legal) if Optus had INFORMED it's 2G customers about this.

Instead they have been prematurely stealing frequencies from the 2G network, effectively sabotaging it.

80% of calls I attempt to make connect (Ka-Ching - ie get charged for) and then provide one way or NO actual communication, and Optus still charge my account every month. 

I wonder if they will continue to debit my account AFTER the network officially shuts down in April.

This activity is in breach of the Telecommunications Act.

What they SHOULD have done:
a) Write or email (NOT SMS) every 2G customer back in July 2015 warning them of the shutdown with 9 months notice.

b) Repeat the email warning with EVERY account/bill sent out after that date.

c) Not stolen ANY frequencies until the shutdown date was reached.

That would have been both customer friendly AND legal.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Ge0ff
RetiredModerator

Hi @feyone, Apologies for the service difficulties and communication method, I can take a look at the 2G services in the area and confirm what is going on there. What suburb are you experiencing the issue?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

My original post said it all.  In terms of areas, at least half of the Melbourne CBD, the Geelong CBD, ie the two areas in Victoria which have absolutely no excuse not to work. The reason (as explianed to me by Optus Tech support) is that Optus has been pillaging there 2G network prior to the April shutdown date. I am wondering if they are EVER going to tell their 2G customers, and will be curious to see if they keep taking money for a network that no longer exists in April.

What is worse is that failed calls are STILL CHARGED FOR because one way communications has been established.

This is called Fraud /  Unconsionable conduct and a variety of other legal terms to describe illegal behaviour.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Ge0ff
RetiredModerator

@feyone, to my knowledge the decommission of the 2G network in the Melbourne CBD or Geelong CBD area has not begun. The forecast for when that will be completed by is April 2017. This could be a potential fault however. Could you provide me with your details through PM, I can take a look and identify what may be causing the issue. Thanks 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Eweasel
Occasional Contributor

Hi geoff 

di you know what the 2g decommission status for Perth?  

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

According to the last Tech I spoke to, a large proportion of the frequency allocation to 2G has been reallocated to later generations, and this is why the reception anywhere with even moderate usage (like a CBD) is now terrible when it used to be Ok.  This network used to work flawlessly until November last year when 95% of calls from the Melbourne CBD were established in only one direction (semi-randomly - normally the person called could hear, but the caller could Not hear the receiver). 

When I commented on this, the tech (hero) spent a lot of time talking to other departments who made the following offers:

a) Go Away (I paraphrase a longer conversation here about porting my niumber to anyone else)

b) Buy a 5G phone on an expensive lock in plan for no discount at all.

My counter offer of - give me a phone that works (Optus curently sell a 3G phone for $40) and I would call it even was rejected.  No doubt they assumed stupidly that I wanted the latest 5G Android phone - I actively do NOT.

It has been escalated to the customer service compliants division, but I have not heard from them as yet.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

PS - the web searches I found for the Optus 2G network had it being shut down in April THIS year, not 2017.

0 Kudos