cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Waysharp
New Contributor

Privacy and the provision of usage data to other parties

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this already..... but, will Optus paid or otherwise compensate customers for the sharing of their data usage and other information that may provide Optus a comercial advantage or receive revenue from those thrid parties?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Privacy and the provision of usage data to other parties

You're right. You already know the answer.

You could argue that if Optus makes extra revenue (from any source) then the result is possibly passed onto all customers with lower plan costs etc. Data aggregation also leads to a better range of products and services and the commercial advantage is therefore one all customers benefit from.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Waysharp
New Contributor

Indeed that could be argued. However, aside from the legislative requirements, the provision of information to commercial third parties for commercial  gain by optus could be more transparent and allow customers to opt in or out. We all know the value of data these days.  An incentive option, be it in the form of a monetary discout or the provision of extra data in excess of the standard plans or offers may assit Optus and the customer whilst being open and transparent about their dealings with other entities, I am aware I probaby ticked a box agreeing to this but I think a consideration customers may wish to explore.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Well worth raising. 

Optus did recently send an email detailing how you can opt in or out of data gathering.

You'll find the settings in My account > Profile > General marketings > Insights 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Shauna
RetiredModerator

Thanks for reaching out, @Waysharp. If you'd like to opt-out, you can do so via the instructions provided by @petergdownload. Alternatively, here's the direct link with more information about updating your marketing preferences. If you've got any other questions, feel free to shoot us a PM.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos