Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

wifi range extender causes internet dropout when connected

Hi all,

I recently got the NBN connected ... and now I want to extend the range of my wi-fi to the back bedroom.

I connected my existing TP-Link extender and re-configured for the new network.  Worked for 5 minutes ... but then the internet dropped out.  All lights were still on ... on the Sagecom modem.  Connects to wifi ... but no internet.

Disconnected the range extender and had to hard reset the modem before I could access the internet again.

Tried a different wi-fi extender with the same result.

Any reason why the internet keeps dropping when a range extender is connected.

Really frustrating as it worked fine when I had a cable connection in my previous house.

Thx,

Gary

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: wifi range extender causes internet dropout when connected

If you have moved the Range Extenders closer to the Modem and still have issues, and you haven't done the following to date, this may assist.

The culprit could be a new feature, not in previous older cable modems, called Beamforming which may be Enabled as Default in the Sagemcom - System Admin/Wireless/Advanced Features/Wl0=5Ghz page, go to bottom of the very long page and Disable the two Beamforming tick boxes , then Save. If your TP-Link Range Extender only supports, 2.4Ghz (n) set it to connect to the Sagemcom's 2.4Ghz SSID (slower but stronger signal)  - the one on the router label on the bottom. If the Range Extender does both the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz (ac) and your TP-Link Configuration software supports connection to both bands, enter the 5Ghz details as well (will be the same as the 2.4 Ghz but will show a -5Ghz suffix). There are some good YouTube clips that show various installtion procedures for TP-Link models - A change of name for the SSIDs may depend on your TP-Link model or personal preference.  

Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

are you using the same ssid for the extender? 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I will give that a go ... thx

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes i am

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

i don't use extender any more as it caused alot of problems for me in the past, from memory, having the same SSID can cause the issue. My suggestion is to do a factory reset on the range extender and using its factory setting including SSID, but change the passphase and see if you can get a stable connection. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos