Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
ice
Contributor
Contributor

why does it take too long to improve NBN speeds in a few areas ? my story

since the NBN started I was stuck with fibre to the node technology then I was sent a flyer and emails a few years back about the faster 5 g, coming excited I put my name down for interest in 2176 area wethrille park - still now in 2021 5g  has not had it in come to my area then it was said it would be fibre to the curb, ,after that ,i got told but never happened again  I had slow speeds since the NBN happened due to slow fibre to the node ancient technology capacity on a 100-speed pack plan I got only 24 MBS, speed after being with Optus over 15 years I had to change to another telco now my speeds have improved to 34 to 35 MBS down and 7 upload when i was told my speed would never get over 24mbs ?and it cost less, is the technology rollout up to Optus or the Nbn, if I needed to re-cable the old wiring if that helped at my own cost would have probably done that if anybody listened but no one did in my previous post I also wrote about so many people having issues with the sagecomm modems I should know because i  had 7 sent out in all the time I had them. all of them had dropouts and none worked well without me I have - having to do so many resets and factory resets it is really a shame that nobody ever does anything to improve NBN speeds it like what you are stuck with you get on the telco side  -everything I know is escalated with Optus but the problem is you get so many different case mangers and nothing does get resolved this is the reason people who have been with opus over 15 years leave which is ashamed lack of communication and, not any real soulotions, of course, they may get  4 g  but customers will get only limited data .but I think they should resolve every single case by case by case all the time they said they fixed the problem area again, it was broken, and speeds went down again this is not good if technology is not improved. one of the problems is the free modems not very good modems, if Optus want to get their customers back it would be wise to improve .

0 Kudos
7 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: why does it take too long to improve NBN speeds in a few areas ? my story

A tale of woe indeed. FWIW the NBN arriving was also foisted on Optus with no choice. They bought the Optus HFC Cable Network (and are now tearing it down as not worth fixing up). Optus went from one of two broadband suppliers to 1 of 50. I agree that they have been very slow to accept that new reality and shifting to a true custom friendly focus has been a long journey (still not complete)

Unfortunately Optus can't fix the FTTN. All providers will give you around 30Mbps as that's the best the NBN can do at the moment (to your house). Its not good enough but blame the government for cutting so many corners and leaving half the country stuck on FTTN (which we're now paying to upgrade again very slowly)

If you have the money then look into Elon Musk Starlink. Cost averages out at around $150 a month over three years but you get unlimited data at around 100Mbps. Should be available to many soon. Otherwise check if Telstra has 5G in your area and if not then hopefully it will be sometime in the next few years.
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

You did a very good job reading the original post as it was very hard to read (post was E2L).
0 Kudos
ice
Contributor
Contributor

I WATCHED A CURRENT AFFAIR HOW BAD IS THE NBN ALL AROUND.

I'm now with Aussiebradban its still only 34 MBS and 6 up but at least it is stable now with no cut-outs or faulty modems. I'm still with Optus now only on my mobile, but that also saw a drop in 4 g speeds lately on data compared with a few years ago even though Optus did have an outage they said it's fixed messaged me  in the 2176 area but I see its still slower then it was a

year ago

0 Kudos
Jack_YC

Hey @ice, I've checked our Network Status and I can see that there is currently some ongoing mobile network maintenance in the 2176 area. I recommend searching your full address on that page for some more info. 

If you do have any other questions, please send us a message via the My Optus App so we can assist further. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@Jack_YCHe has moved to ABB.... Maybe next time read the post details as he is no longer an Optus NBN customer.

0 Kudos
Jack_YC

Hi there @AndS, you'll notice in the second half of the comment I was replying to, the user is discussing their existing Optus service. That's the part of the post I was replying to in regards to network maintenance. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi - as a matter of interest, on your FTTN service, if your home has parallel sockets, is the modem connected to the first or furtherest away socket in the cabling chain?

If it using the first socket, using an Ethernet connected device, try connecting the modem to the last socket to see if speed improves.