Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
seismick
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

why am I on SPEED PLAN 2?

I just checked a load of invoices from various utilities, and noticed that my last 2 from Optus have a line entry:

Speed pack 2   $0.00

So did somebody give me a free upgrade? On the other hand, it is not faster in any way.

(I got FTTH so I thought it would, unlike some poor friends and relatives on FTTN who don't get better than ADSL rates).

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jeneral__Pain
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: why am I on SPEED PLAN 2?

NBNCo changed the wholesale rates for some plans, this means 12 became 25, 25 became 50.

so it’s likely they’ve just updated your bill to reflect the change in pricing

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

What speeds are you getting? Should be around 20Mbps. It seem likely you've always been on Speed Pack 2? You should enquire about getting onto Speed Pack 3 as its possible you can do that at no extra cost (don't know)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

We now provision speed pack 3 by default (Average Peak Download Speed for 7 to 11 pm (as at Oct 2018) 45.5 Mbps).

That's included when you sign up to one of our current in-market offers

It's worth reaching out to Live Chat to discuss your options.

Personal → Home phone, Broadband & NBN → General and Billing 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
seismick
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Nah, more like 10 Mbps. That is on speedtest sites. I also download a certain software package,

4 GB every 3 months from a server that is pretty fast. That takes same amount of time as before.

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

If you're having trouble finding any additional information from our Chat Team.

I can always go in and take a look. You'll need to send us a private message with your account details.

We're after your full name, DOB and account number.

I'll try and get back to you as soon as possible. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
seismick
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

To conclude, I got onto the billing and general support live chat. They said I was on the very old plan that doesn't allow higher speed; could not explain why the invoice lists speed pack 2. Then offered me upgrade to NBN50. Don't they even sell NBN25 now? Anyway looking into details, it does cost more, because I got unlimited landline and domestic mobile calls. After I declined to upgrade, the support lady gave me the speed pack for same as what I paid before. So it pays to haggle.

0 Kudos
Jeneral__Pain
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

NBN25 is the same price as NBN50 now to the providers.

Just bare in mind, because you got "speed for free", they won't take on "compensation for loss of speed" since you are already being compensated with free speed. Sadly, NBN isn't free and costs the providers money to give you a connection, and in the consumer market there is bugger all margin on services.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos