Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
benmont
New Contributor
New Contributor

slow nbn speeds on optus speed pack 4

i upgraded my optus nbn to a speed pack 4 last week. was told i would get typical speeds of download 40 and upload 80. i am getting less than half that - typical download speeds are 5 to 20 and uploads of 25-35 - which is what i was getting before i upgraded (costing an extra $30 a month). what are my options?

i can't contact optus as their call centres are overseas (very disappointingly) and are closed because of covid-19. and my issue is not considered urgent. but it's urgent to me because if i can't work from home i will have to go into the office in the melbourne cbd, and that means catching public transport. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Sewings
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: slow nbn speeds on optus speed pack 4

Yes all imploding again. I pay $80 a month for an unlimited NBN plan and have had intermittent access over the past few days... comes on for a few minutes and then disconnects. So much for a premium service. At least I can hot spot to my Telstra phone. Will be definitely moving on from Optus once this mess is over. 

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Something is wrong with your numbers. The fastest UPLOAD speed possible on the NBN is around 35Mbps. So if you're getting 25-35 then that's 100% fine. Its your download that is at issue (and there should be a fix for that). You should be expecting around 80Mbps generally. Since the same wires are used for download and upload its probably not a physical issue. Possibly a faulty modem?

What NBN technology do you have? I'm guessing HFC Cable?
Are you using Wifi or wired for these tests?
You should have a little NBN modem?

Try unplugging the Optus modem completely and plugging your PC directly into the NBN modem (it has only one port to use). Reboot the PC and do some speed tests then.
0 Kudos
benmont
New Contributor
New Contributor

thanks for the reply. i am connected via wifi as modem is downstairs and computer upstairs. i was able to speak with optus this morning and they are confident the connections are all fine etc. i think i'll try a wifi enhancer and see if that improves the situation.
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its a big likelihood. I would suggest you take the time to carry your PC downstairs and set it up on the floor near your modem. Do a wifi test there or better yet a cable test. Just see if that does indeed fix the problem.

If it does you can investigate extenders but a simple cheap solution is just grab a 20m CAT5 cable from a store and run it up the stairs. Looks messy but 100% will work and cost less than $20 (Tyr office works or MSY).
Top Contributors